When did your baby say goodbye to the passy and how did you help them deal?

suthernmomof2

Asked by suthernmomof2 at 9:42 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was a little over 2..we had 5 of them somewhere in the house - i got real tired of looking for them so i stopped! .. he was sitting next tto me on the couch and bit a hole through it so told him it wasnt any good to throw it away ... he was good with it and never had any issues since.. wellll a couple weeks later we found 6 pacifiers!!! i threw them all away :)
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:32 AM on May. 6, 2011

• my almost 16 month old still hasn't said goodbye to it LOL. but she's been using it ONLY at bed/naptime for about 5 months now. she was never an all day-er. with my older two i just went cold turkey, my oldest at 18 months and my middle at 12 months. i had more success with my middle, she didn't even cry once for it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:44 AM on May. 6, 2011

• he didn't use it very long at all! maybe just until 9mos..?? we just took it away, and he never missed it. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:46 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My 4th just lost interest in his completely when he was 20 months. My first we "lost" one night when he was 2 1/2, he cried for one night but never asked for it again. With both of them, we had limited it to their crib/bed at 12 months.

Answer by missanc at 9:49 AM on May. 6, 2011

• With my 3, it was more a comfort for me than them and they just grew accustomed to it. But eventually what knocked it was constantly losing them and hunting them down. With DD(11), she had 3 nd she would bite holes in them and then cry. Once the 3rd one was holey and lost, I didn't buy another. She cried for it for a week. It was hard, but at 14mos, no more "ha-hum". With DD(6), she had one that lasted her til she was 10 mos. She lost it, I found it nd hid it. She never cried for it, so there it went. With DS(5), he had 4. We went to visit my mom he lost 1 there. We went to visit my inlaws, he lost 2 there. We had one left and at the age of 1, same thing as the last girl. But he had a hard time coping, so I'd just try and keep him busy during the day and before you know it he was exhausted and didn't mind that "pappy" wasn't there!
    ButterflyKissed

Answer by ButterflyKissed at 9:53 AM on May. 6, 2011

• my oldest used his until he was 4 years old. He has severe eczema and only used it when he was tired. We tried taking it away when he was younger and he would scratch and get skin infections so the pediatrician said to let him keep it. On his 4th birthday we went around the house and collected all of them. Then we told him the passy fairy was coming that night and she would leave him a gift. It worked great for us. My middle child lost interest in his own at about 10 months and my youngest never used one.

I would say if they are only using it to sleep then you should be okay. If you really want to take it away then you may have to let them cry until they learn to sooth themselves without it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:55 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I was so lucky, my son wasn't really interested in a passy! Yea for him and me!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:52 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My little boy keeps biting right thru them and finally last night my husband threw it away he had no spares so my little boy didnt have any he is 2 1/2 years old and I kno it was time for it to go but i guess i wasnt ready to say that he was growing up. My husband said that he was just real cuddly last night and whinny but today all he keeps saying is his "meme" is broke. But no tears yet so it looks like he might actaully be broke of it soon
    suthernmomof2

Comment by suthernmomof2 (original poster) at 9:58 AM on May. 6, 2011

• We were REALLY lucky on this one. One day when DD was about 9 months old, she didn't want her passy. I didn't offer it to her and she never asked again.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:01 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My first gave it up during the day (kept it for sleeping) just before 2 years, when his baby sister was born. He gave it up completely at 3.5, only because he fell and busted his lip and chipped a front tooth and couldn't suck...and it was hell. He wasn't ready. He didn't sleep well for weeks. I tried getting him a Build-A-Bear with his paci inside so he could still sleep with it, but it didn't go over too well...

My second never had a paci. She sucked her thumb starting at 4 months, but she gradually got over that. I'm not sure exactly when she quit completely, but well before 18 months, and it was completely voluntary.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:18 AM on May. 6, 2011