Would you go ahead and sell anyway? I need advice please...

I recently have decided to start a floral business out of my home...it's something I can do to earn money while still being a SAHM. Well, apparently someone else from my church does fundraising with flowers for Mother's Day. I was going to use Mother's Day to sell corsages to people and Father's Day to sell boutonniere, but apparently she already does...... Is it still appropriate that I go ahead with my business plans and sell the same product even though she is as well? I guess my question is, am I overstepping on someone else's fundraiser if I start selling my stuff as well to the same group of people she's selling to?

This is literally how I made money for income where we used to live.....and now I feel like I'm at a loss because I don't want to piss her off by delving into her profits...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• ask her if she would mind or see if you two can join together for this event
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:18 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It's different though.....I'm doing it so we have some income (my dh is a full time student with only a part time, min wage job) so this would be NEEDED income. She is doing it for fundraising for band, camp, and activities some kids are in.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:25 AM on May. 6, 2011

• i think you should still do it........if ya'll can't join up and "split", then maybe you can each do "different' arrangements, corsages and such...good luck!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:29 AM on May. 6, 2011

• wow - yeah I think you would be stepping on her toes! Can you not advertise in a neighborhood newsletter? I have a friend who leaves her arrangements in a gazebo out by the road - people stop by everyday and put the money for the arrangement in a little box she has up there. Yes, the money has been taken a couple of times over the last 15 years or so but it's a pretty safe area and she makes a tidy profit.

Answer by missanc at 10:43 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'm reminded of a couple of buskers I saw in the London Underground, screaming obscenities at each other over a choice performance spot. NOT what you want to see happen at church!

You need to talk to someone at the church and see what they will allow. A fundraiser for teams & activities, they probably won't have a problem. But they may well have issues with what's essentially a "for profit" business. It'll be too late to put something in the bulletin.

Also check to make sure you're operating legally per city/county regs.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Yeah i'm sure she has permission from the church to sell, you can't just start selling something for profit on church grounds or advertise yourself selling to congregation members without permission from the church. I doubt they would allow two women in direct competition to sell relatively the same thing.

Just make sure you are doing everything properly with a Business license and tax id and then make flyers and ads for the neighborhood. You need to legally be allowed to sell.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:29 AM on May. 6, 2011

• At our church, everyone is friends OUTSIDE of Sunday Service and youth activities.....we don't go through the church to sell to church members. If I wanted to post on the bulletin or something then I would have to ask, but I didn't plan on doing that.
    My business is registered, and I have a wholesale/resale number.....it isn't an off the cuff sort of thing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:49 PM on May. 6, 2011

• She doesn't advert on the bulletin either, or I would have seen in before now lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 PM on May. 6, 2011