4 day work week, not a question just a comment :)

I wonder when we're going to go to a 4 day work week just like the rest of the world? Especially with the gas prices!

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 10:16 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would work 4/10s in a heartbeat to have a 3 day weekend!!!! But, because of most states' laws - anything over 8 hrs in a day is overtime - most companies refuse to do it. The state laws would have to change before the comapnies will give into the method as a general practice. But, oh, how I wish. :-/
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:22 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Honestly, I check my mail only twice a week anyway. All my bills are paid electronically. So, there's nothing in there that really renders checking every single day. It's mostly JUNK anyway. I'm not knocking mail carriers. It's just that delivering only 4-5 days per week wouldn't really change things in these electronic times. If you look at the statistics, it's mostly the older generation that throws a fit over fewer mail days. The mailbox is part of their daily routine. I'm 52, doesn't bother me. My dad, however, at 72, has no clue why he wants to get his mail every day, even if it is just junk. But, wants to get it every day none the less. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:42 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Good lord...........we have had more meetings about having meetings to discuss the discussions and probabilities of the 4-day week for about 8 years now...................it ain't happening!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:20 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I've been thinking the same thing, would love to have a 4 day work week and work extra hours during the week to add up
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 10:20 AM on May. 6, 2011

• A 4 day work week would be fabulous. Wish it would happen. It never will for me though.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:23 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Good question! However, I doubt we'll reduce to a 32-35 hour week. They may just make everyone work 10-11 hours 4 days a week instead. Before the economy tanked more places were doing this. Now, everyone is just struggling. I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:23 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Oh, gdiamante...what do you do to be "on the air"? I love getting to know the moms I see here all the time.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:08 PM on May. 6, 2011

• "Oh, gdiamante...what do you do to be "on the air"? "

I'm a radio host at an NPR member station. If I wasn't hosting, I could probably get a 4/10 schedule.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:40 PM on May. 6, 2011

• @Anon - I am fully aware of how the USPS works behind the scenes. My best friend is a carrier. He gets tired of having to go in at early hours to sort the JUNK that is the bulk of the mail these days. He gets tired of delivering all that JUNK! Like he says, the majority of the stuff that is delivered is the useless JUNK MAIL now that everything has pretty much gone online. Snail mail is an archaic system at this point. But, it is what it is, it gives people jobs despite being outsourced with the internet.

And, *SIGH* at you for feeling the need to hide behind the "anon" moniker. Are you THAT ashamed of what you do or say on this subject? Maybe you're the "anon" that goes around "spitting" on everyone's questions. I wasn't dissing your job at all. Just stating the cold hard facts that what's in snail mail these days just isn't all that important anymore.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:12 PM on May. 6, 2011

• That's what I was thinking, 4-10 hr days, I get to do it now and probably have a fit if I had to work 5 days again lol I just think it's a comprimise the government should make. I know I know government and comprimise......ya right.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 10:24 AM on May. 6, 2011