GOP debate and troop withdrawal are you for or against it?

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.), however, received the first applause of the night when he forcefully called for withdrawal:

[Bin Laden] wasn't caught in Afghanistan. Nation-building in Afghanistan and telling those people how to live and getting involved in running their country hardly had anything to do with finding the information where he was being held in a country that we give billions of dollars of foreign aid to, at the same time we are bombing that country.

So it's the policy that is at fault. Not having the troops in Afghanistan wouldn't have hurt. We went to Afghanistan to get him, and he hasn't been there. Now that he's killed, boy, it is a wonderful time for this country now to reassess it, get the troops out of Afghanistan and end that war that hasn't helped us and hasn't helped anybody in the Middle East.

Businessman Herman Cain's answer on Afghanistan was less clear. He said he doesn't have a plan, because it's not clear what the mission is, what the U.S. interest there is or what the "road map to victory" is. At the same time, Cain did not outline his own vision, simply saying he would "revisit the issue."

Former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson has been an advocate for withdrawal from Afghanistan, and he repeated his position during the debate.

"Are you worried about providing a specific end date and that possibly would enable the Taliban to move in the day after the U.S. troops left?" asked Baier.

"First of all, I'm not in favor of a timetable. I'm in belief that timetable should be tomorrow. I realize that tomorrow may involve several months," said Johnson.

He added that unlike the Iraq war, he originally supported the invasion of Afghanistan.

"We were attacked. We attacked back," said Johnson. "That's what our military is for, and after six months, I think we pretty effectively had taken care of al Qaeda. But that was 10 years ago. We are building roads, schools, bridges and highways in Iraq and Afghanistan and borrowing 43 cents out of every dollar do that. In my opinion, this is crazy."

Do any of these answers surprise you?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:17 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have very mixed feelings. I am a military spouse, and I'm a vet. My ds leaves for bootcamp in the fall. I know, firsthand, the price the military and their loved ones pay. I know that some people are going to bash me for this - (lol - probably even people on both sides of this...)

But, I think we need to either do it or not. We either need to stay, and fight, and call it what it is - we are at war, we're fighting, we aren't in these places in "advisory roles" - we are in combat (and as such, we can shoot first when someone is running at our troops with a gun, and NOT have to wait until they shoot at us first) - or we come home.

But this there and in harms way, but trying to be sensitive and delicate about is is what's putting our troops in more danger, imo.

We need to be at war, do it, get it done, and come home, or not. And if not, then we need to just come home.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:28 AM on May. 6, 2011

• ^ I dont think you will be bashed at all..I think many feel that way,.,

Thanks for your service..and your families....HOPE THEY ARE SAFE!

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:34 AM on May. 6, 2011

• sailorwifenmom said it all
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:38 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I too have mixed feelings. I think I'd go more with Herman Cains answer that we don't really know why we are there and we don't really have a clear goal. I don't want to be there just because. I'm also not sure we should just drop everything and come home but I do think we need clear goals, not this make it up as we go along crap, Sometimes changes have to be made but the end goal should always be the same.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:39 AM on May. 6, 2011

• i was about to say that i have mixed feelings too....i second sailorwife.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:41 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Thanks :-)

I do get bashed for this opinion though - there are people who have been like "I can't believe you don't want them to come home right now - what kind of military wife are you?!?" (one who understands that this is their job, as much as it sucks sometimes...)

Or I get, "What do you mean, you want them to come home? Don't you think we can win this?? How can you be so un-supportive?" (one who wants them to be as safe as possible...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:41 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Sailorwife said it best. I completely agree!
    cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 10:54 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I agre with sailorwife too.Its a tough call.
    If I thought there was a good reason to be there, then I would say that the troops should stay....
    But, in the early 1990's we were HELPING Afghanistan ,defending them against Russia and now we hear that we need to be there and defeat the Taliban....is it crazy? I think so.
    In a way,this makes me like Ron Paul a little. But not enough to vote for him if he was the candidate. Sorry.....
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:21 AM on May. 6, 2011

• i just think we need to get this war over with and bring all our troops home safe and sound...my dad is over there and i hate it but i know he protecting our country and our rights and hes doing his duty and a service man
    Ksmomma30

Answer by Ksmomma30 at 11:25 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Herman Cain's answer was RIDICULOUS!!! He is essentially in favor of what Obama is doing right now ... not having a plan and listening to his advisers. This is exactly what a dictator does - makes decisions based on his bureaucrats' advise. I don't want that and Americans (read Republicans since Dems won't have a chance to choose the nom), need to realize that what is more important is a President respecting our rule of law - the Constitution.

I'm with Ron Paul and Gary Johnson on both their answers.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:40 AM on May. 6, 2011