Any Labradoodle owners out there?

I want to get a new dog. In October, it will be two years since my beloved Miss Indiana passed away. My son is 8 years old and I want him to be able to have a dog that can be his as well as mine too! Miss Indy was a lab mix that I rescued from a shelter, and she was with me for nine years. Now, I have a chronic illness, and I am looking for a dog that won't shed as much as she did. I have balance problems and vacuumming is a real challenge for me.

I was thinking about a labradoodle. Anybody here have one or have experience with them? Of course, I would love to rescue another dog, so I am checking with shelters for poodle mixes. I'll just know if the right dog comes along, but I wanted to see if the labradoodle is a good solution to the shedding issue, and good with kids.

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 10:32 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Labs and poodles are both great breeds however you put them together and you get one heck of a hyper dog. That has been my experience with everyone(except one) that I have met and worked with. If you go this route keep in mind that many of the "breeders" are just throwing two dogs together so you won't know for sure if the dog takes after the lab and sheds like crazy or the poodle who does not shed. Some of them are actually doing a decent job because these dogs do get used as therapy dogs for those that are allergic. Once they are a few generations in you can get what you are looking for. There are plenty of Lab/poodle mixes in shelters these days and I have even seen specific Lab/poodle rescues now.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:42 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Yes, and yes - they shed less (or not at all) and as long as you raise them right (it's not the breed, it's how they're raised) they are fabulous dogs! If you can get one I recommend it!! (We have a lab and have talked about breeding her with a poodle but there's another lady in town who breeds them so we wouldn't get much for them. If we knew we could do it at all, I'd give you a pup!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Not all of them shed less/are hypoallergenic. Depends on what genetics the dog takes after.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:38 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Oh these are great dogs we have a mall you can take dogs to and there are so many and they are beautiful there are breeders check your local paper
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:11 AM on May. 6, 2011

• A lady I work with has a labradoodle and our principal has 2 of them. They said they are great dogs and after the first shedding rarely ever shed again. AGAIN - I do not have any personal experience with them, this is just what two of my coworkers have said.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:04 PM on May. 6, 2011

• They don't really shed. Every labradoodle owner I have met says they are fantastic dogs although need excercising all day everyday!! When I have seen them out and about that certainly seems true. I would only get one if you have a large garden and can walk it at least 2-3 times a day (proper walks where it can run also)

Two owners have also told me that although they don't shed, they need professional grooming once a month as well as grooming after each walk, so there is also the expense of a professional groomer to consider.

They seem like fantastic dogs...but like all deliberate cross breeds...make sure you go to a proper breeder and not some back yard. Otherwise you may end up with a dog thats got the worst parts of both breeds. Although, i think you are doing the rightt hing by rescuing a dog :)
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:29 AM on May. 7, 2011