Is going back to work....

I've been a SAHM for 7 year's now but it's time to go back to work due to hard time's....How do I make it easy for me & my family esp for my 2 girls who have to go to a public daycare? I have been crying non stop since I found out!!!!

Has anyone else done this? Any advice you can give me?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 10:54 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• YOU will have a much harder time than THEY will. Day care to them will be a grand adventure with new toys, new friends... don't be surprised if they find it more fascinating than home! (Mine couldn't wait to get RID of us on his first day... there was a sand table that was FAR more interesting to him than WE were. He was two.)

When I got the opportunity to stay home, when he was six... he HATED it! He missed his friends at after school care! (I wasn't too keen on it either and went back to working after three months; SAHM is for some but I'm not one of them.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Bump to you! I'm in the SAME situation! I have to go back to work after being and unemployed SAHM of 5 years. I'm dying inside because I will miss my children, not to mention that they've always had me here....they don't know any different. I can't stand the feeling of leaving them with someone else.....that isn't what we planned, but we're doing what we have to do. We wanted one of us to be able to stay home with them. ugh. *huge hugs* I know what your going through right now! xoxoxox
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:00 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My experience was similar to that of mompam. Its hard at first, but my DD has thrived in her daycare setting. It makes me appreciate even more the time we do have together. I also agree with the house part. Your definition of "clean" may change!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:02 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Yeah, once they get used to all those friends and toys you could never afford, they often dont even want you to be a SAHM anymore.
    If you are worried, like anything else don't let them see you worried. Be strong and definate about what you are going to do, and they will be fine. You on the other hand, will probably cry like a baby :)
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:28 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I went back when my kids were babies. I definitely cried at work in the beginning. You will see though, how much they are going to love it. It's a lot of socializing for them. They will come home with stories and projects and you won't feel so guilty. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Your days of a clean house are pretty much over. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:57 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'm sorry to hear that you are facing this and personally know how difficult it can be to bring a child to daycare when you would love to be home with them. I' m a mom of 2 girls. When my first daughter was born, I had to go back to work due to debt. The good news was that my daughter enjoyed daycare, however it was still difficult for me because I felt like I was missing out on so much with her and only saw her for such a short time at night. So then I began a search for a legitimate way to work from home. Luckily I found what I was looking for and have now been able to stay home with my girls and still bring in the income my family needs.

Are you open to looking at an option to work from home? If you are, I would love to share what has really helped my family and so many other moms in this situation.
    No selling! Free training & support! Flexible schedule!

Contact me if you would like to explore this option.
    mliwellness

Answer by mliwellness at 2:48 PM on May. 6, 2011

• The hardest thing for everyone is the consistency of the situation. Kids with at-home moms only know that world. Kids with working-outside-the-home moms only know that world. It's when you switch from one situation to the other that the consistency is broken and it is hard for all. I went back after 11 years out of the workforce when my four kids were ages 5-11. It was hard at first because my going back to work completely changed what they were used to. My advice: Put them into the day care as soon as you can, if possible, before you actually start the job, so they can begin adjusting while you are still at home. Keep everything else about their lives as consistent as possible. Have close family members come by often, make their favorite foods, set an evening routine when you come home where you spend concentrated time with them. Bottom line is they will be fine after a transition period. More at http://www.iRelaunch.com
    CarolCohen

Answer by CarolCohen at 1:56 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I went back to work after 8 years of being a SAHM, but only part time. I worked 4 days/week from 10am-7pm, so I had time to get my kids to school (my youngest was 4 and in a 1/2 day preschool 5 days/week), and 2 days/week I picked them all up from school, Friday afternoon their dad picked them up and had them on Saturday while I worked. The other 2 days my mom picked up my 4 yo and them dropped her back off at home where I had a sitter for all 3 of my kids when the older ones got home from elementary school.
    It was hard and I really had to plan things like supper and dr/dentist appointments but it worked. After 4 months I went back to school so I had a sitter come for 2 hours in the morning to get them ready for school, but then I was home when they got home.
    Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 11:00 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My daughters were dying to go to daycare! It was fun and different and full of kids. I was so excited for them! My job fell through, but they are still disappointed.

I don't claim it would be easy, but my attitude (I had been looking to get my youngest in a preschool and couldn't) really rubbed off on them.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:36 PM on May. 6, 2011