How did you know for sure you were in real labor?

I've been having lots of Braxton Hick's contractions with this pregnancy (I didn't with my last) so I'm afraid I won't know when I should take it seriously. With my son I began having contractions one night and it turns out I was in labor, but my Braxton Hicks with this pregnancy are actually worse than the real labor pains I had with my first.

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 11:23 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• when it starts u will know...Its more intense than Braxton hicks... and u'll have the bloody show...
    johnsonbaby03

Answer by johnsonbaby03 at 11:26 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I didn't feel contractions until I was dilated to 7 (which at that point I opted for the epidural)
    so the bloody show which I got almost immediately was what let me know.
    However, I didn't know what it was at the time and I was freaking out thinking I was losing the baby.
    Not a fun time to be a new mother.
    Zom.B

Answer by Zom.B at 11:28 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I had the bloody show weeks before, so, that wasn't my clue.

My contractions were close and often and didn't slow down at all, they got worse and worse. I knew then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on May. 6, 2011

• water broke with first one...with second one I started having contractions one morning
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I did not know. I seriously thought I had bad gas, then finally noticed the gas pains were 5 minutes apart. Haha. In fairness to myself and in defense of my idiocy, my doctor had just told me that morning that it would be at least a week. :)

I'm sure you'll know, though. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 11:44 AM on May. 6, 2011

• when my water broke! but also when the contractions would stop for a few minutes, start again and last longer, stop for less time, then start again....they usually have a rhythm
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 3:29 PM on May. 6, 2011

• when pain is un bable & contractions 5 min apart rock hard belly, good luck
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 3:49 PM on May. 6, 2011