Breast feeding question and storing the milk questions?

Ok first off the breast feeding question I have is I plan to breast feed this time around, but I am thinking about giving bottles more than the breast. Only because I don't want to be tied to were ok everytime this baby crys I have to stop what I am doing and feed her and I can't have noone else do it so I can do something if I have baby at the breast. I have 2 other kids as well. I do still want to feed at the breast once in a while though to so would it be ok to keep some milk in the freezer then a few bottles in the fridge just incase I am doing something then I can have dh or my oldest dd feed the baby? I thought about that and just when we go out places, but I will feed at the breast when I am not doing anything. If I do this how often do I have to pump to keep my milk flow going? I will definatly always feed at the breast in the morning and night time though.

My other question about storing. How long can I leave breast milk out of the fridge or freezer? How long can it be stored in the freezer? How long can it be stored in the fridge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Okay yes you can do the occasional bottle but it isn't recommended to try to introduce one until breast feeding has been established. The pump is not as efficient as the baby so your supply may drop or your baby may 'forget' how to latch to a breast if you start to soon. As far as storage, this is a great website in general but I linked you to the part about milk storage and handling¬†

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:36 AM on May. 6, 2011

• If you want to just pump and fee dyou would still have to pump every time the baby ate or at least every 2-3 hours at first eventually going to every 4 hours , when the baby does, to keep up your stored supply. There are a lot of moms who only pump and bottle feed. I am sure there is a section for that on the site I linked you to as well. Also keep in mind ANY breast milk is good for a baby so if you decide you no longer want to breast feed then don't feel bad for making the choice that is right for you and your family.
    But_Mommie