Breast feeding question and storing the milk questions?

Ok first off the breast feeding question I have is I plan to breast feed this time around, but I am thinking about giving bottles more than the breast. Only because I don't want to be tied to were ok everytime this baby crys I have to stop what I am doing and feed her and I can't have noone else do it so I can do something if I have baby at the breast. I have 2 other kids as well. I do still want to feed at the breast once in a while though to so would it be ok to keep some milk in the freezer then a few bottles in the fridge just incase I am doing something then I can have dh or my oldest dd feed the baby? I thought about that and just when we go out places, but I will feed at the breast when I am not doing anything. If I do this how often do I have to pump to keep my milk flow going? I will definatly always feed at the breast in the morning and night time though.

My other question about storing. How long can I leave breast milk out of the fridge or freezer? How long can it be stored in the freezer? How long can it be stored in the fridge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is a great website to save in your favorites and refer to about breastfeeding questions: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:34 AM on May. 6, 2011

• SLING! Pumping is more confining than breastfeeding because you have to stop, sit and pump. Slings are required equipment with more than one child; the only thing MORE important is the car seat.

You actually save no time by pumping because for EVERY bottle... you MUST stop and pump. So it saves you NOTHING.

Fresh pumped milk can stay out ten hours. More storage info is on kellymom.com. Drop by the breastfeeding moms group for more help from moms who've been there done that. THere is also an exclusive pumping group is you want to go that route... it is a HARD one but can be done.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• ha I gave the same link in another section for this same question.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• These ladies are right. To add to that...I'm pretty sure I have one of the best pumps out there and its still a pain in the butt, but I have to do it b/c I work full time. I'd much rather just nurse, and for many other reasons. Pumping you have to set it all up, (only takes about 60 sec once you get the hang of it) then you have to clean everything, label the bottles, etc etc etc. Pump as often as your baby would need to nurse, but also remember it is unlikely you will ever pump as much as your baby can get from nurse, so that can get frustrating too!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:46 AM on May. 6, 2011

• it's hard when you mix in breast feed and pump at the same time. I was doing that when I was on maternity leave, it's so tiring. I would bf my son then pump the rest out or it'll be too full and I have uneven breast. When I'm back to work I pump 3 times a day one in morning, lunch and before going to sleep. Depends on how much milk you can produce, I can pump a lot at one session so I don't need to pump that often. Since I pump I can go out and do things while hubby at home taking care of him. The nurse in the hospital told me a rule of thumb is to remember 5 5 5, fresh milk leave out for room temp is 5hrs, max 5 days in the fridge and 5 months in the freezer.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:52 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Every time baby eats, milk should be removed from your breasts. So, you'll either want to nurse at feeding times, or pump if baby is getting a bottle, to keep up your supply. You CAN do it this way if you want, but you might find that just nursing is easier, and the person who'd be giving the bottle can just do whatever else needs to be done. I do agree that a sling or wrap will help you be able to nurse while doing things around the house, shopping, etc.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:46 PM on May. 6, 2011

• You have to pump every 2 hours round the clock if you do not plan to nurse on demand, the little bit of nursing it sounds like you plan to do will not maintain supply...and believe me pumping is a PITA...where ever you go take the pump, no matter what you are doing you MUST stop and pump, even if baby is sleeping all night you must pump...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:20 AM on May. 7, 2011