Anyone ever had to wean off of pain meds? Help! Withdrawls!

I have been on pain meds since I had my last baby by c-section and the doctor sewed a nerve into my incision, and messed up my whole life. I am trying to get off these meds, I can't do it anymore, my pain is so much better and I just don't want this dependancy. I feel like crap! It's like I have the flu but ten times worse, and my head hurts SO bad and even the pain is exagerated. My doctor says, well there's nothing we can do to help you get off of them, you just have to do it. How long do I have to feel like this? I have NO energy and there's no way I can do this for a month.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 11:51 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Health

• Your doctor is full of crap. They can help you manage pain and get yourself off the medication.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:52 AM on May. 6, 2011

• That is how I feel too! I asked her for a referal to the pain management clinic and she said NO! What the? I am willing to bet she doesn't have many patients besides me calling her up and asking for help getting off pain meds!
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Truthfully that would be enough to make me find another doctor, one that will give you a referral to someone who can help you manage your pain better. Good luck!
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:59 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I would get a second opinion form another doctor just in case. And your doing the right thing. Pain meds destroyed my aunts life. (and her marriage) No matter how innocent the reason for getting on them if you don't stop things will get worse. If you go back on them it will be twice as hard to knock it next time. I don't mean to jump on you about this I just want you to stay motivated. Think happy thoughts tomorrow will be a little better. Your doing a good job.
    NewMommyAshley

Answer by NewMommyAshley at 12:11 PM on May. 6, 2011

• The physical symptoms of withdrawal are at their worse for the first week, the second week they get better and then just the psychological dependance after that.

You should see another doctor, your current one sounds like they have a horrible bedside manner.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 12:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I think we all agree your doc is a lazy ahole. You do need a 2nd opinion. In the mean time you can start to get off the pain meds yourself. You have to move very slowly. If they are the kind of pills that you can cut, then you can take 3/4 of the dose for a week then move to 1/2 and so on. Don't forget to consult with a new doctor also! Good luck.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:24 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Thank you all so much, especially knowing that it is going to be worst the first week, that is comforting. It could be a lot worse, I am gradually cutting down but it's not too slow, 3 pills a day for a week, next week two pills and the next week one pill. I am so excited to be free of this! I want my life back.
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Give it about two weeks. Rest if you need to, or just keep really busy if you feel like it. Stay hydrated and eat well. Avoid darker rooms, and closing yourself in to the house, it can trigger depression. And remember, when it's unbearable, bite your lip, sit on your hands, and keep telling yourself it's not forever and you will get through this.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:33 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I was once on Ultram which is addictive. You have to wean yourself off of it very slowly. Not all at once.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 9:04 PM on May. 6, 2011