Inducing a labor?

What do you think about inducing a labor? Is it very common in the US? I am 41 weeks pregnant and I don't wanna be induced and wait as long as possible... also I am scared I will have to be induced since my first baby was after 9 days past "due date"... I think nature has it in her own hands, but doctors don't wanna wait.

KatDy

Asked by KatDy at 11:51 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think everyone should make the decision thats right for them. I'm also facing a possible induction. I'm due Sunday but no sign of him coming anytime soon. I went to almost 42 weeks with my 1st so if he's like this one I just won't go into labor. Sometimes that happens and we just need a little help.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:53 AM on May. 6, 2011

• First, my goodness lady you must be miserable! Wow , that seems pretty far past a due date. However, letting a woman go too far (not sure what is medically considered too far) can have major health risks, I do know it's not good to have a baby in the amniotic fluid for longer than a certain amount of time.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:54 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It is a personal choice as long as there are no issues with the baby. I personally was induced and it was a fantastic experience. It went smoothly and 4-5 pushes my baby was born. Labor lasted 3 hours but I had an epidural & it worked wonders. My baby was born healthy! I had great Doctors that knew what they were doing. I think that is the key. I am due myself soon again & I am hoping to be induced this time as well.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:59 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My personal feeling is that if everything is okay nature should be allowed to run it course. I was 10 days late with my DS. They were pushing me to be induced at 2 days late! There is of course many situations where it is necessary.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:02 PM on May. 6, 2011

• There are things they can check to make sure the placenta is still healthy and your baby is still getting everything it needs until he/she and your body are ready to do this. My midwife said that at 41 weeks they will do a non-stress test and put on the fetal monitor for about 20 minutes. At 42 weeks they will do another non stress test with an ultrasound to check the fluid levels. After that its every 3 days of a non stress test and ultrasound. Their concern is that statistically after 42 weeks the risk of a still birth goes up "drastically" by "drastically it goes from something like 1 percent to 2 percent (doubling is apparently drastic in this case).

Listen to you gut- if you feel confident that your baby is still active and healthy and getting everything it needs and just isn't ready yet- tell your doctor to wait.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:04 PM on May. 6, 2011

• i was induced at 41 weeks and it was perfect for me
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 12:24 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I think it depends on the situation.

I had to be induced when I had DD, but not by choice. I was 37 weeks pregnant and looked like I was 25 weeks pregnant, I was really small and DD stopped growing, she weighted 4lbs and her lungs weren't fully developed, she wasn't very active in the womb, and I was losing amniotic fluid and the doctors couldn't figure out why, I wasn't leaking, I wasn't dilating or anything. The doctors couldn't figure out why she stopped growing and why I was losing amniotic fluid, but my condition was getting worse day by day...they had no explanation for it.

My doctors told me hope for the best and prepare for the worst because she was very small and wouldn't weight more than 4lbs. and her lungs were not developed like they should have been.

I had to be induced early, it was either have her a few weeks early and hoped she would be ok or try go full term and risk losing her
    Holtswife24

Answer by Holtswife24 at 12:25 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't let them induce you until after 42 weeks when the risks go up since you feel strongly. I was induced with both of mine, and with my first especially, my labor was long and terrible. Still, I would pick labor any day over being pregnant so if I see 41 weeks I would probably be begging them to induce me.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:52 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I was induced because of my blood pressure. There is no problem with it. My DD turned out just fine.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 2:21 PM on May. 6, 2011

• you could try going for long walks and have lots of sex till the water breaks. In the old days they also took a tablespoon of castor oil (yuk) because it made the contractions start. Try to avoid induction...pitocin may make labor longer and more painful (did for me!)
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 3:26 PM on May. 6, 2011