Babysitting: is it okay to charge them from when they said they'd be here?

I babysit for a family. Many, many times they are late dropping the kids off. I've been charging them from when they said the kids would be here because I have to be here, ready to have them from that time on, plus it's an incentive to drop them off on time.

I don't think they keep track of the hours that I charge them for, and they haven't said anything about it, but I wonder... do you guys think that's fair?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:54 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think it's fair, yes. But, you have to tell them, maybe even in writing, that this is something "new" that you are implementing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:55 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Typically, one is paid by the hour from when they are actually "on the job." You might switch to a flat fee for the evening, with extra charged if they are late picking up. That's what child care outfits typically do.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 AM on May. 6, 2011

• With a cushion yes. If you drop off more than 30 min late you will be charged for that full hour with out at least X hours notice of a change int he arrival time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:55 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Absolutely!
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:57 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Flat fees won't work, sometimes I have 2 of their kids, sometimes 3, and the hours vary widely from 4 hours to 11 hours. I feel like since I'm giving up those hours to be here for their kids when I could have other kids and be making money, it's only fair that they pay for the hours they tell me they are going to have me watch them, you know?
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Very,
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:11 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd tell them what you just said right above. You're giving up work on their behalf and if they can't be on time, you'll have to start charging. Just be clear; you may want to put it in writing.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:23 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It's absolutely fair. They have your time even if they run late.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:27 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Being a babysitter myself I think it's fair!! I've been in similar situations and I felt I had to. You kind of start counting on that money and them being late shouldn't be your problem. I wouldn't feel guilty. Good luck to you :)
    oliviahw

Answer by oliviahw at 12:31 PM on May. 6, 2011

• yep, I say it's fair.
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 12:47 PM on May. 6, 2011