Shin Splints

What are they? What causes them and how does one get rid of them?

cheekycherub

Asked by cheekycherub at 11:55 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• If you try to do too much too fast with walking or running, shin splints can ensue. It's inflammation of the muscles along the front of your shin, and the best way to treat it really is rest. If you can take a break from long walks or running, and do some biking or swimming, yoir shins will thank you. Do some RICE treatments: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Some NSAIDs (like Motrin) can be good too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:42 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I remember getting them in high school. I am no medical person but here is what I know. 1. They hurt like CRAZY! 2. Your shin is located in on the front of your leg, opposite of your calf. 3. Ice is the best remedy 4. Run on "soft" ground. Tracks at high schools with rubber, or on the gravel if you run on the road. Hope some of this helps.
    FebPenguins

Answer by FebPenguins at 12:03 PM on May. 6, 2011

• i get those bad! ya gotta go to a good shoe store where they properly measure your feet, and see how you walk...all these little things to determine which athletic shoes work best for your feet. that alone toned the shin splints down for me :)
    the other thing is that there are these brace like things you can find at Academy or Wal-mart maybe. they wrap around your calf and there are two rubber bars that go along your shins...those are pretty helpful.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 12:07 PM on May. 6, 2011

• by the way...stretching is my best friend when it comes to my shins
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 12:08 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Shin splints happen typically when you do too much too soon. It's best to take some time off - ice your legs, take some ibuprofen and make sure your shoes are properly fit. when you start again, go slowly and make sure you are stretching well after
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 12:46 PM on May. 6, 2011