How do you get rid of cradle cap?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 1:01 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby oil and a comb.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:02 PM on May. 6, 2011

• To get rid of cradle cap, first apply baby oil to the affected areas ten to fifteen minutes before shampooing.

Next, wet your baby’s scalp and use a soft-bristled toothbrush or terrycloth rag to gently rub the flakes and scales away. Don’t overdo it - be gentle and know that it may take a couple of days to get rid of cradle cap
    Luna_Solimar

Answer by Luna_Solimar at 1:08 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I found that baby lotion, applied thickly about 30 minutes before combing, worked as well as baby oil, but was MUCH easier to shampoo out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:10 PM on May. 6, 2011

• i like the gel baby oil better than the regular for cradle cap. there are special soft brushes you can buy for that too
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 1:12 PM on May. 6, 2011

• i also used baby oil... i put some in my sons hair a few minutes before his bath and rubbed it in... then in the bath i rinsed and washed with soap...works really well to loosen it up and then you can just comb out the rest
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

• cradle cap is dandruff...dandruff shampoo gets rid of it. get some head and shoulders
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:39 PM on May. 6, 2011

• baby oil and comb alow the oil to absorb in the scalp then comb out
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 5:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Actually cradle crap isn't dandruff and it is much harder to get off and adult dandruff shampoo is too strong for babies.
    They aren't sure what causes it, but they think it is either a fungal infection and overactive sebaceous glands.
    Lotion soaking in before a bath to soften it and a soft brush can get some of it off. But remember it is harmless so don't over do and hurt the scalp.
    My youngest had it bad. It took for ever before it finally cleared in his 2's.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 8:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I was asking re: my 2 mo old, but I just realized recently my almost-3 yr old STILL has it! Her hair parts on the side naturally, and it isn't visible there, but I made pigtails for the first time the other day and when I parted in the middle it was still there!!
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 12:15 AM on May. 7, 2011