How did you stop breast feeding your 5 month old?

please give me advice on how to get him to stop asking for "the girls!!" or tell me what worked for you

Mami9674

Asked by Mami9674 at 1:15 PM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wanted to breastfeed my youngest 2 until at least 1 year old each. But I would end up getting pregnant around 6 or 7 months, my milk would dry up, and baby would wean herself. So getting pregnant works.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:16 PM on May. 6, 2011

• hmmm well i am pregnant lol like 2 months...no wonder my boobs dont fill up as muchh
    Mami9674

Comment by Mami9674 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Drop ONE feeding per week till gone, that's all. Do NOT expect a lot of cooperation and the "requests" may continue to come in for months.

Have you established that he will take formula? Any particular difficulty causing you to wean? Sometimes it's easier to work through the difficulty than to wean.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• he really dont like it but eats it with his cereal just fine...and what do u mean by drop one feeding til gone? if i give him the bottle he will cry cry n cry..but he drinks like 2 ounces when hes with dad
    Mami9674

Comment by Mami9674 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on May. 6, 2011

• "he really dont like it but eats it with his cereal just fine..."

Doesn't like formula? Then you have BIG problems.... because formula has to become his main meal, with VERY LITTLE in solids till the first birthday;. Formula first, solids after.

"and what do u mean by drop one feeding til gone?"

Exactly what it says. Week one, drop his least favorite nursing session. Week two, the next favorite. And so on till they are all gone.

"if i give him the bottle he will cry cry n cry..but he drinks like 2 ounces when hes with dad "

And that would be normal. He thinks you've gone insane by not giving him the breast. And you may have to put up with this for quite a while.

Let me ask again: is there a difficulty leading you to wean? Or simply "I don't like this?" Nothing WRONG with that but you might like the weaning process less! Many times moms wean because of work or meds or social pressure; no need in any of those c

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Is the pregnancy the issue? Are you high risk? If not, NO need to wean. You can continue as long as he cares to continue, as long as YOU want to continue.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Drop one feeding at a time and replace with a bottle of formula. Stick to it. If you drop the noon feeding, never nurse at that time. Stick to it for 1 week. Then drop an additional feeding for 1 week. Do this until you are done. The slower you do it the less engorgement you will have.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:45 PM on May. 6, 2011