Help!

I do not think that my son is ready for school he is due to start in august of this year. He will not learn his ABC's he will only count to 5 it is really disappointing that he acts like he has NO WILL to learn!! I have took things we have bought flash cards he just doesn't want to learn these 2 things!! He can tell you any shape or color! I just don't know anymore.. Should I keep him out of school till he is 6 or go ahead and send him?

mykids060911

Asked by mykids060911 at 1:34 PM on May. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like he may be a little immature. Kindergarten is pretty intense nowadays! He will sit a lot and have to learn quite a few things. If you are having doubts, keep him back a year. Boys sometimes can use that extra year. Has he gone to Kindergarten roundup yet?
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:36 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Perhaps he needs that school environment? Trust your instincts,you know him better than anyone.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure what state you live in, but I know ours they have to go at 5. It may not be about him "not wanting to learn" at 5 they pick things up without thought. Send him to school, the worst that is going to happen is that they will hold him back...but kids tend to learn better from other people.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• They may also be able to provide special help for him at school.
    Also, I know my daughter will remember every word her teacher says. Me, she tells me I'm wrong when I try to count by 10's (rolls eyes)
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:40 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I would hold him back. Did you take him for kindergarten screening? Call the school principal and talk to her. See what advice they might have. If it were me I would wait a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:41 PM on May. 6, 2011

• We didn't take him to the round up here in town because we was moving at the time and wasn't quite sure what school he should have attended! I should add he is a very HYPER child. Our schools here tend to be not so good! He wants to go and I would love for him to go! I just dont want to have to go to the school everyday because his teacher cant deal with him or his needs~!
    mykids060911

Comment by mykids060911 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on May. 6, 2011

• The woman that said he may need the school environment, is right. Sometimes, the ones you least expect get in there and see the other kids doing these things and they pick right up and become the smartest kids. But I wouldn't hold him back now. Because it will become a pattern of constantly being overprotective in the wrong ways.
    ButterflyKissed

Answer by ButterflyKissed at 1:44 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Yes, I would send him to Preschool first then kindergarten the next year at 6. You'll be amazed at how much they learn in Preschool. If you send him now, he will be at a disadvantage as opposed to an advantage by knowing more & being 6 next year.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:08 PM on May. 6, 2011

• kids are buggers sometimes. Just because he won't learn from you doesn't mean he won't learn from a teacher, especially when he sees he is behind and the peer pressure is on. Go with your gu and if there are lots of levels you think he's not ready go ahead and hold him backt, but I wouldn't sweat his lack of interest in learning. The admissions form to Harvard doesn't asked what year you learned your ABCs. If he wants to go that is a good sign.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:46 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd send him and let the school decide if it would be better for him to wait another year.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:49 PM on May. 6, 2011