Have you seen that detergent commercial where the mom is with a crowd of kids encouraging her son to slide down a grassy hill on his belly?

I just saw it and wondered, is that mom a "fun" mom or an "irresponsible" mom?

I mean, I would like my kids to play and have fun, maybe even take a few harmless risks. I don't want to freak out about every little bruise or scrape they manage to get.

At the same time, while watching that commercial all I could think about was how he could have gotten injured on that hill.

What if he slid over something sharp?

What if he hit a large rock at the bottom?

Yes, I do over-analyze things I see on TV. It's just in my nature.

What are your thoughts?

Would you be there telling your kid to slide down?

Would you be there telling your kid not to slide down?

Would you not even know your kid was deciding on whether or not to participate in this activity until they came home and told you about it?

Would your kid ever tell you whether they slid or not?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 2:08 PM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• E, none of the above, what detergant was that?! I gotta get it!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:09 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Id be the mom saying go go go. You cant be so uptight and worried about everything or you miss out on the little things in life that make life fun. I am sure if there was a huge rock at the bottom of the hill no mom would say go.

Answer by gemgem at 2:11 PM on May. 6, 2011

• kids may or may not get hurt...you only live once...i would totally let my kiddo go down the hill...sounds like fun
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:12 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I have never slide down a hill, but I love to roll! I'd be the 35 year old mom rolling with them.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

• id be the mom rolling down the hill with my kids. we actually just did this recently.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:28 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'm with the others, slide, roll, etc but get out of the way because I can go faster!

I do overthink commercials, but I am big on not overprotecting my kids. Thanks, Mom :-)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:48 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Can't live life in a bubble. I'm the mom that coaches them on! We did silly stuff like that all the time when they were little. Now, I do the same silly stuff with my granddaughter. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:15 PM on May. 6, 2011

• We did all sorts of stuff when we were kids that weren't bomb proof. I remember jumping off small cliffs on my bike, into the bushes and rocks to see how far I could fly. We hiked for miles because we lived in the desert. We played in the caves down the road, and my friends 6 yo brother and 8 yo sis came with. So I didn't really think anything of it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I have encouraged my kids to roll down a hill at a little league game. Then another came over and yelled at her kids for doing it. It was so fun though!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I've never told my kids to slide down a hill but I've told them to roll down a huge hill. And when they decided to run I turned my head so I didn't have to watch if they tripped and did a faceplant (which they didn't).
    Life is supposed to be fun and it is full of risks. If you make it risk free you take away all the fun. My kids do all sorts of stuff. My son came home and told me he was climbing the trees at the park. To get into them he had to use a friend's bike. I just reminded him that if he fell we didn't have the money for the ER (which is my usual warning)...obviously if he actually hurt himself we'd take him but really we don't have the money. It's $100 copay to go to the ER. So far he's never fallen out of a tree.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:50 PM on May. 6, 2011