How do you feel about door-to-door religious solicitation?

Do you think it's something we should embrace, tolerate, reject, or ban? Why? How do you handle the situation when it happens to you? What is the best way to handle it? Do you think anyone benefits from this practice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's absolutely ignorant. If someone wants to attend church they'll seek it out themselves. I had someone ring the door bell at my place and wake up my son (whom I just got to sleep) at 7pm just to leave a flyer to their church when they aren't allowed here anyways because it's private property! I hate all soliciting. You don't know the people, leave it alone. To top it off we have a no soliciting sign on our door.
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 2:50 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I don't appreciate it. I have my own religious beliefs and I don't push them on others. I don't want other's beliefs pushed on me. I feel religion is a personal thing and shouldn't be peddled door-to-door like a vaccuum cleaner.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:38 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I had my 8 year old answer the door with a beer in hand....LOL... Then she turned and hollared at me to get her another one. They left quickly.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:38 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I find it obnoxious and presumptious. I do not want to be "sold" any religion or beliefs at my doorstep, or anything really. If I have questions I can seek the answers on my own.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone is truly converted in this manner. My answer for any solicitation, religious or otherwise, is to not answer the door.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 2:41 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I despise it!  It is an invasion of my privacy.  That goes for all kinds of soliciting at my door and on the phone.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:28 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It's very annoying to me. I know they mean well, but I don't appreciate ANYONE coming to my house unannounced, especially when they're trying to sell something, whether it's new siding or religion. I work out at home a lot, and much of the day, I just walk around in my short shorts and workout bra, because I'm doing housework and taking business phone calls. I really don't appreciate hearing my doorbell ring when I'm not expecting anyone (unless it's one of the neighbor kids or something). When I see the religious peddlers coming, I take the coward's way out and pretend I'm not home.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:04 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I don't appreciate it at all, especially at 9:30 on a Saturday morning when my child is still sleeping b/c she was up sick half the night and everyone is finally settled down!! Then the dog starts barking... you know how that ends up... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Needless to say my Catholic DH whipped open then door and told them is they didn't bring a small animal to sacrifice they could kindly get off our property!! Well, that was the last time they came-a-callin'!! Before that we had been very politly saying no thank you... but enough was enough!! They aren't kidding when they say timing is everything!! LOL

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:18 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I understand why, and I've made a point to be polite but firm - they don't come back. Maybe different ones will a few years later, but the same ones don't. Usually the people who come around near us are elderly, and I'm not about to give one a coronary just because they interrupted my day.

I find the concept in general to be abhorrent, presumptuous and condescending.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I think it's an invasion of space (mental and physical). Do not come to my home, where I find sanctuary and practice my religion to talk to me about how I am wrong and how your way is better. I celebrate my faith in peace and privacy and I expect you to do the same. I respect their opinions but I do not respect their assumption that they can come to my house.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:35 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It's something that I personally do not deal with. I do not receive door to door religious solicitation due to living in a high rise with security. They can not get into the building.

I will share this. I see no point in it , I don't really understand the mind set either. Mainly that's due to my religious background, Hindus & Sikhs do not believe in proselytizing or trying to convert. So, doing so or believing that one is to do so, is a pretty foreign concept to me personally.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:05 PM on May. 6, 2011