We took our dog to the vet....... (A Little Long)

Twice this week. After we took him to a groomer on Saturday, he came home upset. We thought maybe because of his cut. He is a maltese, they practically shaved him. He started not eating then on monday he started to cough up "foam". So we took him to the vet. They ran a parasite test on him he was "Fine, just a little gassy" . They could give him anitbiotics. No explantion of what it could be. We said no, I wouldn't put antibiotics in my kids for no reason, why would I do it to him. Anyhow, By weds he still wasn't eating and had diarrae. Weds night my husband I were up at 3am cleaning him up and making sure he was ok. I had to work yesterday morning, so I called the vet and said I would be in after school to have him checked again. After getting my boys I went to bathe him so we can take him to the vet. (He kept pooing all over himself. I do not think he could help it!) When we got him there the VT said it wasn't looking good. He drop almost a pound and his body temp was 10 degrees too low. They warmed him up checked for porvo and it came up neagtive. The vet now was sure that was what he had. He gave us two treatment plans, $82 & $228. 70% & 85% survival. We took the 82 so we wouldn't have to pay for the hospital stay. We left at 5:28. At 6:19 I was calling our vet that our dog died. He said, "I didn't think he was gonna go so fast."..... I am so angry. He knew he was gonna die and still tried to sell us Hope with two treatment options? We would have left him there instead of him dying in front of our boys. We do not have alot of money. And we tried to be responsible and wanted so much for him to get better. But to prey on our emotions and take money from us knowing it wasn't gonna work. He was a maltese with a temp of 90degress and had dropped from 5.7lbs to 4.11lbs in three days. He couldn't hold his head and this vet with 20yrs of service couldn't tell he was already dying. My boys are devestated. I called and asked for the $82. I said we would have left him with you all instead of taking him home with our boys thinking he was gonna live and not make it an hour. Shouldn't he have focused on the 15% that doesn't make it in the state he was in??
We loved our dog and couldn't wait to spend the summer tkaing him camping with us. :(

eluc

Asked by eluc at 2:41 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Pets

• I love when cold heated people go anonymous! Not!!! Grow up and stop hiding! The family is in pain! Where is your compassion?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:32 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am so sorry for your loss. I worked at a veterninarian office for 8 years and often had to help clients with this type of thing. There are many vets out there that are in this for the money and not because they love animals. If the doctor isn't the owner of the practice, I would call and/or write with a complaint and don't back down until you get some kind of apology. Make a special burial place for your dog and mourn him with your boys. I worked with a doctor like this once and I hated his guts. Let me know if you need anything else!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 2:46 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am so sorry for your loss.

You can call the state licensing board and talk with them. They might not do much, though. 70% survival rate is a pretty good rate, but being only 70% means that there is still a 30% chance the dog will not survive. Not having spoken to the vet on the phone myself, I cannot say he "knew" your dog would die as an absolute, but he did know there was a 30% chance he would... and he told you so when offering you the option.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on May. 6, 2011

• One more thing... you might get the groomer checked out... your dog may have picked the bug up there.

• That happened to a cat of mine not too long ago. He was slowly walking around the house, crying in pain. Every few steps he'd stop and start cleaning his hind parts. I took him to a "low-cost" holistic vet near me. THAT fool told me that all my cat needed was some kitty chiropractic. Three weeks later my cat was dead from crystals in his urine (I got a 2nd and 3rd opinion).

I couldn't afford the lawyer for a malpractice lawsuit so I did the next best thing: Negative word of mouth. I even told a couple of local shelters that had this clinic on it's list of recommended vets to go to. They immediately took it OFF their lists. I went to Judysbook.com and a couple of other "review this business" websites and told my story, with a negative recommendation.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:54 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Sorry for your loss. I have two dogs and one has Idiopathic Epilepsy.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 2:55 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am sorry for your loss! I know it really hurts to lose a pet. I would really have the groomer checked out. U need to find out if they sterilize their tools before using them as well as from one dog to the next. They could get shut down for unsanitary reasons. Once again,I am really sorry for your loss!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:31 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am so sorry for you loss!!! Some of the symptoms you mentioned sounded like what our Chi had last year. The body temp dropping, not being able to hold his head up, and no eating. Our little guy suffered a head injury though, after getting caught in the car door :(

It's so very hard when you don't have the money, and they try to offer you hope, but their wrong! We spend $1600 on Cyco before we decided to put him to sleep, because he was suffering.

My heart goes out to you.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 4:40 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I understand why you are upset. I personally do not understand why they didn't run a parvo test immediately when you brought a pup in that wasn't eating. That, plus diarrhea and especially bloody diarrahea is one of the first and telltale signs of parvo. Most vets, as soon as they see a puppy sick or not eating checks for parvo immediately. Parvo is one of those things that does depend on catching it early. I have seen a lot of parvo puppies and about half of them die.

I do not think the vet robbed you or preyed on your emotions. I feel that he gave you an option that was more affordable and had his fingers crossed that it would live. I think with parvo puppies, most vets feel relieved in every case when the puppy makes it through this. And he did not promise you anything, he said the dog had a 70% chance. I interpret his statement, that he WAS surprised the dog did die so quickly, he thought the dog had a chance apparently.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:53 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I called and asked the owner of the office for our money back. She said he did a good job. And when he said he didn't know he was gonna go that fast, he just meant that he thought he was gonna survive. And I quote, " Giving you your money back is not going to keep you as a client. And giving you your money back is not going to keep you from bad mouthing me all over town." I told her she didn't know me to assume that. But now, I certainly was gonna facebook it!!.
    eluc

Comment by eluc (original poster) at 6:03 PM on May. 6, 2011