If we no longer believe in something, such as God, does it still exist? Furthermore, just because we choose to believe in something, does that mean it must exist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'll try that second part of your question. I'm going to believe that there's a million dollars in my bank account. I'm going to put all of my faith in it. I'll let you know on Monday, when the banks are open again, if it's there or not.

As to the first part, I don't believe there is a god.  I don't believe there was a god when I believed there was.  Whether or not I believed it, there wasn't any to either exist when I believed, or cease to exist when I no longer believed.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:26 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Objective truth is not changed by belief. If something exists, it exists regardless of whether or not people believe or even know of it's existance. Saying otherwise is like saying that the moon ceases to exist if I don't believe in it. And believing in something doesn't make it true. People believed wholeheartedly that the earth was flat for centuries... oops! Belief didn't make it so!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I don't think God's existence is contingent upon our belief. Either He exists or He doesn't, whether or not we believe doesn't change things - UNLESS you believe that the idea of God is merely our personification of humanity and morality, etc, in which case you could claim that not believing in said personification anymore could eliminate the existence of said mentality or whatever. But even so, the idea of humanity and morality, etc, would still exist....

Personally? I do believe in an external Being, that God is an actual entity of some kind Who's existence stands on it's own, regardless of our personal beliefs about it. But I can see how the idea of God can also represent many different things to mankind. So I guess it all depends on what your perspective is, when it comes to what exactly God is....

Also, I feel its less about what you believe and more about what you do with that belief, if that makes sense, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:48 PM on May. 6, 2011

• That's like saying France doesn't exist because we've never visited, never met a French individual or eaten French food. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, yet others have. But the same goes both ways, just because we choose to believe something, it doesn't mean it exists. But I think there are far more things that exist that we believe in than things that don't exist that we believe in.

How many licks to the center of a lollipop? lol
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 2:57 PM on May. 6, 2011

• If something exists then it exists, whether you believe in it or not.  It works the other way round too.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:24 PM on May. 6, 2011

• God either exists or doesn't exist. We are either right or wrong about our beliefs. The facts don't change even if we can't prove/disprove them.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• G-d is omnipotent, meaning he doesn't need anything. Therefore, He doesn't need us to believe in Him in order to exist.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:03 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Bandgeek, I really enjoyed that.

I kind of felt like this would be a fight, but am very pleased that it is fun and metaphysical

If a whole lot of people believe Obama was born in Hawaii and a whole lot believe he was born elsewhere, was he born twice?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:08 PM on May. 6, 2011

• In order for something physical to exist, there needs to be enough verifiable evidence to prove it . Either we can see it, feel it, find it under a microscope, or in the case of black holes, observe the behavior of objects around it. Sure, there will always be people who will still hold doubt, but with enough evidence, we can safely assume something exists unless proven otherwise.

Without this proof, it becomes subjective. I can't say with certainty if there's a god or not. His/her/their existence is quesitonable.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:43 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Either something exists, or it does not. In order for me to believe it exists, there must be irrefutable, tangible evidence. Of a god, there isn't.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:01 PM on May. 6, 2011