Really ? I should lose my job over this ?

I have been babysitting this little boy for almost a year now.

Everything has gone pretty good... I met them through my aunt who is very good friends ( and works with ) the mom.

Before me the grnamda watched him - the mom didnt like that arrangment because she had to pay the grandma and she thinks she shouldnt have to pay a grnadma to watch their grandchild. ( she actually pays me $2 less than she payed the grandma) .... But when I first started watching him she told me if there are days when i cant watch him then her mom would .

In the last year I have had to "call off " 3 or 4 times... and those were for important DR appts and when I had a surgery... and I had let her know about all of those long before the time came, but she would still kind of have an attitude about me not being able to watch him those days ( which i understnad not being happy about it, but still. )

So Wednesday night she called and asked if I could watch him saturday and I said I could. Well last night at my daughters tball game, they told us they are having a makeup game saturday morning at 11.

I immediatly texted her and told her the problem and asked if it was possible for her mom to watch him during the game ( I could watch him before and after), because I really didnt want to miss my little girls game. I also said that if her mom couldnt, if it would be possible for me to just take him along too.

She replied with a " no, just forget it"

I asked my aunt this morning if the mom said anything and she said " she isnt to happy with you, and I think she is going to have you stop watching him"..

Now I know this would be the ONLY reason she would fire me over.... she has even bragged about how good I am with him and half the time he doesnt even want to leave my house... i also think that she knew my aunt would tell me those things and maybe said them so I would just stay home and watch him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm guessing she was just venting to your aunt, just like you're venting here :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:53 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Information from a third party isn't considered admissible in court... I would not take it seriously here. If she wants to have you stop, SHE will tell you so.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd ignore her little tantrums.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I can see the medical situation, but not for a ball game. I'm know it's very important for someone to be there for your daughter, but it does sound like a bit of a lame excuse if you are the primary day care.
    this woman was relying on you.

I wouldn't be happy with you either, maybe next time you decide to start taking care of someone's child you should make it a part time agreement since it sounds like you aren't available full time. it's understandable if you become ill, but no matter how understandable the situation may be if you have many situations where she can't count on you, then she should probably look elsewhere.
    Anonymous

• She's just annoyed. Act like nothing has happened. It's not so easy to find someone you trust to care for your child. I'm sure she'll just blow right by it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:33 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Well she did ask if she could take the kid to the tball game with her. And it sounds like Saturdays are not a normal working day.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:34 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Is it normal for you to watch him other times besides during the work week? I would be miffed also if my daycare person said that they couldn then couldn't watch my kids. If they had asked first, something came up, do you mind if we take the kids, then I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. Does he go with you other places? Sometimes it's how things are worded that can upset someone. Also, go an talk to her to clear the air, don't rely on your aunt to do it.
    onix

Answer by onix at 3:38 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd simply ask her, say "my aunt says that you are unhappy with what I've been doing. What is it that you feel needs to change?" Her attitude probably has little to actually do with you any way, you're just the target of her frustrations.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:38 PM on May. 6, 2011

• yes, I think you should. So what happens when one of your kids has a dance recital, or some other event?

Anonymous

• Why didn't you just take the child with you?
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:54 PM on May. 6, 2011