Why does my baby cry when he gets up from naps?

wakes up when sleeping, nap time in morning and screams and cries

JaspersMama07

Asked by JaspersMama07 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he more than likely hasn't slept enough
    Anonymous

• Well i am not sure but i belive my baby does the same because he does not see me as soon as he wakes up.He might feel alone. When he does see me he does not cry ?
    Anonymous

• My daughter does that a lot. Sometimes its because she has a wet diaper (she hates wet diapers), nightmares, still tired but hungry and etc...
    There are so many different reasons why a baby cries when they wake up. My daughter even cries sleep. She still asleep and starts to cry, so, I learn to wait a couple of minutes before running to get her or listen to her cry.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 12:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Most babies wake up hungry. Plus, it's sometimes scary to go from dreams to awake. Be there for him when he wakes up, and have a bottle ready, and he should be fine.
    festerslove

Answer by festerslove at 12:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• does your child nap and sleep in a place where he can't see you when he wakes and how old is he? There could be a touch of separation anxiety there. Sleeping will be a big concern of children who develop separation anxiety. And aside from all else, you wake up alone, completely unable to care for yourself, possibly hungry and in need of a clean diaper. It can kind of be overwhelming for a baby.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would suggest taking him to the doctor and explaining what is going on. There may be something bothering him that US moms just can't tell from the outside.
    mykidskickass

Answer by mykidskickass at 12:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• it could also be more than that it's possible he may need to eat due to low body sugar, my son had done the same thing but he would cry bloody murder when he would wake-up, and I mentioned it to my dr and he said because I was a new mom I was over reacting and that all babies cry, I knew something was wrong, and when he was 4 months he stopped breathing, due to his sugars being too low, come to find out he was hypoglycemic.... when he would wake up crying it was his way of telling me his sugar was low and he needed to eat....the only real way of finding out is to buy a blood sugar meter....cause dr.s aren't to good about finding it
    prettyeyes412

Answer by prettyeyes412 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Not sure why they do it, but my son does the same thing. He also will scream and cry if I try to set him down after he wakes up. I usually have to hold him for like a half hour after waking.
    lmoots

Answer by lmoots at 1:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• yep my son wakes up like a grouchy old man what i found that works lately is getting him from the crib and go straight to the balcony ..he instantly chippers up!
    taleyu1432

Answer by taleyu1432 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my son is 19 months and still does that.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 4:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009