Cat REFUSES to use litter box...any ideas?

I have this kitten since the day she was born (we also have her mother and brother) and she will not use the litter box at all! There was a period of time when she was an inside/outside cat, but now we stay in an apartment and she's inside all the time for about 7 months now, except when she goes on the balcony. Any suggestions to break this habit?

MRobinson927

Asked by MRobinson927 at 3:23 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Pets

• First, clean the spot she has been going as completely as possible.
    Then cover it with news paper and put the litter box on the edge of the paper, not in the middle.
    Set her in it a time or twoo and give he some pets.
    I recommend unscented clumping litter.

Cats go by feel and smell. Removing the smell from the wrong spot and putting the paper there which feels wrong should help keep her off it. Having the box handy in the spot she expects to go should do the rest.

Once she gets used to the box just start slowly moving it over where you want it a few feet at a time.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 8:10 PM on May. 6, 2011

• She could have a bladder infection or most likely she wants the litterbox clean before she goes in it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:24 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Does she have a favorite spot she likes to use as her bathroom? Try getting her her own litter & putting it where ever her favorite spot is. Cats don't like sharing a litter.....a litter box is something a cat will claim as "theirs". So, I'm sure these other two cats let her know that that litter is not hers to use.....she might need her own.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:28 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I've had one or two like that over the years ~ strays that I adopted, etc. I tossed some plain old dirt in with the litter out of sheer desperation one night and after that they used the box.

I haven't bought litter now in almost 8 months. No, I'm not using dirt. I'm using sawdust that I get for free from a local sawmill and the cats (I have 7) love it. I love it! No smell, no weight, I can dump it beside the compost pile, and it's free. Seven cats use a ton or two of litter. I'd try the dirt ... or just get a small bag of compost if you can't just shovel a little into a baggie. If she started out using dirt in the yard, she may be missing it. Cats are odd when it comes to their 'potty'. The other ideas are good as well; at least one more box, paper over where she normally goes (tin foil works too), and no lid. GL!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:07 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Take her to the vet. Especially if she used to go outside. She may have picked something up. Going outside the box is one of the only ways they can tell you something is wrong with them.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:26 PM on May. 6, 2011

• We've started cleaning the box every other day to make sure it's not too full...but no luck :( I'm thinking of getting her a separate box maybe? We really just don't have the room...
    MRobinson927

Comment by MRobinson927 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I had really never thought of it being a medical thing...don't know why???? Thanks girls that's a great idea!
    MRobinson927

Comment by MRobinson927 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I don't have any advice for you. I had a cat way back when ... got her as a kitten from a pet store and she was always an indoor cat and she NEVER used the litter box, usually preferring the bathtub or the carpeting. We kept the litter box meticulous, tried all kinds of repelling sprays, had her fixed (the vet thought that would help), and tried absolutely EVERYTHING suggested to us but to no avail. One vet even suggested we needed a pet psychologist for her ... yeah, right. We ended up having to get rid of her (one of the best days of my ife) when our firstborn came into the picture because she would always try to attack him.
    Anonymous

• How many litters do you have? you should have at least 2 if not 3 for 3 cats. Many catsare particular and wont go where thers go, some dont like the placement of the box, some cdont like certain litters. One box is def. NOT enough for 3 cats unless you clean it after EVERY use.

dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 3:32 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Is it a new litter? My female cat HATES the pearl litter. I think it bothers her toes. So we can't use it.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:35 PM on May. 6, 2011