:/ idk how i should feel.....

my boyfriend told me the other day that he's willing to join the navy reserve just to be able to get a place for me and our baby to live, i absolutely hate anything that has to do with wars,military,army,navy,ect....if he does that he wants to do the medical portion of training which i know he loves the medical field and wants to be a doctor, and if he does that then he can work pretty much anywhere.....idk how i should feel though...since im completely against that whole thing i dont want him to do it, not to mention he might miss 5 months of his sons life and i dont want that at all, on the other hand if he does the whole navy reserves thing like his brother, he'll be able to get discounts on food and everything which we need and it might be a lot more easy to get an apartment or house that way....

can anyone give me more information on the whole thing? i really dont know how i should feel about it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• what about him getting a JOB here and not joining the military? Would that be able to give you and baby a place to live?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:43 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I don't know anything about that but I'll put in my two cents anyway. Sometimes we have to sacrifice for the greater good. That's just part of life. I think it's an excellent opportunity for your BF to learn a skill & eventually pursue a career he really wants. It will benefit you all in the future. I give the guy a lot of credit! I will bump you, I hope you get the info you need.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:45 PM on May. 6, 2011

• he's applied all over the place no one calls him back....you really dont think he's tried to get a job? this is his last resort kinda thing...i still dont like it though
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:45 PM on May. 6, 2011

• If he does reserves he wont get paid enough for a house.
    He will have to do active if you want a house. Which if he does that , you will be miserable. Military families are proud people. You will be surrounded by military every single day. Besides just because he is medical doesnt mean he wont go on a ship for awhile, they need doctors to.
    If your so hell bent against the military then tell him not to go and find some other way to live.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:46 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Getting a job is still not going to be a shoe in. He will still drill once a month and receive $200 at most for it. Being a reservist does not give you base housing, pretty sure that's only for active duty. It'd be a bit more than five months with basic training, then at least 6 months for job training.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:48 PM on May. 6, 2011

• his brothers only been gone for 4 months he's coming home tonight...thats why i say 5 months since he wants to do the medical thing....and the reserves dont pay enough even for an apartment?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on May. 6, 2011

• if your reserves, you are only going to be paid for the time you are away at training/school, and when you are doing your weekend duty. you will not get BAH (housing), BAS (food stipend), or any other financial incentive like that. Only active duty recieves that. and what are you talking about discount on food? Military members dont recieve discounts on food, unless your talking about the commissary.
    mosley12

Answer by mosley12 at 3:55 PM on May. 6, 2011

• my boyfriends brother has a card he can use anywhere for discounts now....

idk how that worked thats why im asking for information lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:02 PM on May. 6, 2011

• well i dont actually know if its a card or not O.o
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:07 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Its probably a military i.d. Some places give military discounts. The only food discounts you get is at the commissary. So unless you live close to a base then you wont get a discount.
    No he wont get paid enough for a house.
    If he is a E1 in one year he will have been paid 3,815 bucks.
    http://www.navyreserve.com/benefits/pay.html Thats how I figured that out.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:16 PM on May. 6, 2011