Confetti lentils

Okay so I am making some bbq spare rins this week and plan to make stock out of the leftover bones and 2 tiny end ribs... I will end up with about 5-6 cups of stock. I want to turn this stock into a lentil soup with some diced onion, carrot and celery. My question is how much of the lentils do I use so that it remains a 'soup' and not just soupy lentils... KWIM? I have never made soup with them before so I have no idea how much they expand... an ideas? How much lentils/veggies per cup of stock?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:47 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The veggies won't soak up stock - so you can use as many or as few as you want. I don't have a bag of lentils on hand right now, so this is just what I'm pulling from memory - I made a ham stock last year, 6-8 cups if I remember right, and put in a whole bag (32 oz?) of lentils - they were soupy. So, if you're looking at having 5-6 cups of stock, and want soup, I wouldn't do any more than half the bag, or about 1 lb. Less if you want it pretty brothy.
    Anonymous

• My beg seems to just give a recipe for Lentil supreme... very helpful. Thank you, That's what I was thinking.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:56 PM on May. 6, 2011