Opinions please, ladies--- What would you say to my brother about this?

My youngest brother is turning 24. He works part time at Target. He went through barber's school and currently has his diploma, but has decided not to use it. He tried to get a barber's job twice, then decided it wasn't for him.

Last summer, he bought an old Mustang through Craig's list. When they delivered the car, they had him sign an illegal title ( the current title holder wasn't selling the car, it was a second party and they didn't have the owner's permission ). Then, the parked the car on the driveway and had to put paint cans behind the wheels to keep it from rolling away. My brother was going to "fix up the car himself". This is a guy that doesn't know where to check the oil in a car....Oh, P.S. He gave them 1500$ for the car. Since he had no car before this, my parents had had to drive him to work every day. When they found out he spent ALL the money he had in savings on a car that would never run, they were so pissed! The hunk of junk could never legally be his even, and my dad told him to get it off his driveway. My brother paid a junk place to come pick it up.

My parents are sick of driving around a 24 year old, and it has taken him this whole year to save for another car. I just found out he is looking for another Mustang that he can "fix". My parents just got rid of my dad's truck, so they are down to one car, and between driving to my mom's job, my dad's job, my little sister's job ( she is 18 and saving for her own car), and my brother's job, they are using a lot of gas and puting a lot of wear on their car. I think if he buys another junk that doesn't run, my parents are going to completely lose it with him.

What would you say? My parents asked us to talk to him, because their talk obviously didn't make much of a dent after the last purchase. I don't know how to say it so he will listen....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Me, being the blunt person I am, would tell both the 24 and 18 year old to stop relying on mommy & daddy for rides and TAKE THE BUS.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 3:56 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Is he still living with your parents at the age of 24?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:50 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Tell him to grow the hell up. What he needs is a reality check not a talking to! My suggestion would be that your parents itemize the cost of a single man living on his own (rent, lights, gas, insurance, car payment, food, etc.) divide it in half (just to be nice) and give him 30 days to either start paying them or get out. If they are feeling really generous, then they can take some, or all of the money to put up and save for him (since he's clearly not responsible enough himself) to be able to get a car and get out on his own.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:58 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd completely expect your parents to lose it with him honestly. Tough love talk, but try not to come across as authoritive. I really don't have advice on this one, sounds like he's going to do what he wants regardless. GL though :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:52 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Honestly, you could talk to him until you are blue in the face, but it isn't going to change a thing. Your parents need to kick their 24 year old birdie out of the nest and he either flies or crashes. If I were you, I'd tell your parents that you are not getting involved in this, and if they want your brother to grow up and change, THEY will have to be the ones to make him do it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:07 PM on May. 6, 2011

• All you can do is let him know you think it's a bad idea. Tell him how you think your parents will react.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 3:50 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am currently in a situation where I don't have a car and I am 21. I also don't have family that's available at any given moment to drive me where I need. (not exactly the same but yeah,) anyways. I know I feel TERRIBLE when I have to ask for a ride, and often when they do I'll give them 30-40 bucks per trip they take me to try and cover some of the gas and wear-n-tear. Have you tried suggesting a "gas fee?" I don't know if it's come up in your family but that's about the only thing I can offer. Especially if he's looking to buy another "fixer upper" I hope this help :3
    shadeslayer

Answer by shadeslayer at 3:54 PM on May. 6, 2011

• The tough talk really needs to be with your parents. :( They are enabling him, and you have no power. They are the only ones who do. They need to set a deadline that he must have his own transportation figured out in 60 days or he is on his own.

They are bringing you in and that is not fair to you because your talking is even more meaningless to you brother than mom and dad.

Bottom line needs to be set. He must start making more grown-up decisions. He can't stay a child forever, that is no good for him.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:00 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Tough love will teach him.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 4:14 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd stay out of it

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 PM on May. 6, 2011