How do I train my stupid dog to QUIT getting into food!!!!!!!

SO he gets into the trash cans, the pantry and any grocery bags I leave on the ground while going to get more bags out. If I forget to lock him up or a kid leave the panty door open he eats anything he can get to. 3 days ago my DH grabbed a granola bar and left the panty open and the dog ate a while box of fiber one bars and 3 strips of fruit leather. Last week a kid left it open and he ate 2 granola bars and a bag of instant potatoes. I brought the groceries in thought I put every thing he could get to away... nope forgot the bread. He hate half the loaf!!! He has chewed on potatoes, pulled empty cups of yogurt out of the trash. What gets me is the dog can sit stay come down wait...walk by your side with out a leash, doesn't bark... I lock his butt up when he gets into things and we have practiced waiting to get an okay command to eat food off the floor. He gets fed for pete's sake!!!! What else can I do. I'm ready to get rid of him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Limit where the dog has access to , and put the food up. Don't put the bags on the floor. It's an animal, he sees food, so he wants to eat. He doesn't care who it's for.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:06 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Buy a trash enclosure or move your garbage as well.
    Musicmom80

• Okay if that's all I can do the dog goes. I am not going to rearrange my entire kitchen for a damn dog. It cost to much money we don't have to keep re-buying food. Plus I guess it would save us a good 90 in pet food and 130 in vet bills a year.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:09 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It doesn't seem like keeping the dog away from food or remembering not to leave food out would be that big of a deal.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:13 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Wow, that's really sad. I'm catching the drift that you didn't care about the dog to begin with. That's really callus. Do us all a favor....if you get rid of your dog, don't get another one. Because as soon as that one does something you don't like, like being an animal....he'll be dumped off too. You don't have to rearrange your kitchen to solve the problem, just stop giving the dog free reign and put him up ahead of time if you know you are going to have food out.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:13 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It's really sad that you're going to get rid of your dog for behaving like a dog. I agree with Musicmom. You shouldn't have pets.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:16 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Nice owner..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

• He won't be dumped off. My mother in law has been bagging for this dog since we got him 2 years ago. And yeah I have 3 kids, I can't baby sit an ill behaved dog all the time so I can give his ass away or keep him in the back yard all the time. I think I'll give him away. Better choice don't ya think. he doesn't have free reign, he can open the lid to the trash can and if the pantry door isn't snapped all the way shut he can open it with his nose. He to damn smart and a total idiot at the same time. At least he is fed quality and has all his shots and lives in a house. Feel sorry for some one elses dog. K?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• You have to train yourself and your family to be aware of the dog and his limitations. Some dogs are fiends for food and you can't break them of that trait. So you have to retrain yourself to not leave food where he can get it. When you go shopping make sure the dog is locked up before you bring the food in. When you get food from the pantry, make sure everyone knows to close the pantry door. Make sure all food is out of his reach.

I am not an animal lover by any means, but it is not fair to get rid of a problem dog, when YOU can fix the problem.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• And I apologize if I sound mean. It's just hard for me. I have done a ton of volunteer work with the shelters and a few rescues in the area. It astounds me the amount of petty reasons and how quickly people are willing to get rid of their pets. It's sad. When I get a pet, I make a commitment to give it a good home and love it. When you drop a dog off at the animal shelter or anywhere besides a rescue, you are condemning them to death.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:20 PM on May. 6, 2011