My mother in law wants to give my 5 year old a dollar every time he scores a goal in soccer...I think its wrong & just want to celebrate his effort. Should I ask her to stop?

libertychi

Asked by libertychi at 4:18 PM on May. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with you, he should play to have fun, not for grandma to pay him for it. Best way to take the sportsmanship out of the game is to start putting money in it. I would tell her it's not appropriate and she's welcome to spend that money taking the whole team out for an ice cream cone or something. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:24 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Oh yuck! I would stop it. Enjoying the game is so much better. I would ask her to refrain from giving money for goals. Now Grandmas never need an excuse to give a few bucks....wait until after the game and slip it into his pocket for just being her grandson.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Scoring a goal is it's own reward; giving him money is inappropriate and just teaching him that money is more important than other forms of success. I'd say put a stop to it. You think it's wrong, he's your son, take a stand.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Im a grandma and if I wanted to give my grandchild a dollar I think that would be my and their fun arrangement. What is the harm? Its what grandmas do.

Answer by gemgem at 4:29 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Don't worry about it. Treat it as a special grandma thing. My mom paid my son for hits in baseball and homeruns.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Maybe its her way of trying to reward him for his efforts? Or motivating him
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 4:20 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I see no harm in it, he's a kid, not Pele.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Heck, I used to give my daughter a buck every time she kicked the ball just to get her to participate more.

BTW. Do you have any idea what professional soccer players make over in Europe?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:28 PM on May. 6, 2011

• What's the harm?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:40 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I agree with gemgem, what's the problem? he'll probably just resent that you made her stop.

get ready to be called mean mommy!
    Anonymous