bathing too much?

I usually give my son a bath every night. Its part of his routine but my mother insists that it is too much especially since its getting colder. She says that I should only bath every two to three days. Is she right?

Ezrasmommy

Asked by Ezrasmommy at 11:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we have always bathed every 2 days.... unless they get super messy..yuck!!!
    it helps with dry skin my boys never had dry skin
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think your mother might be right. Skin gets extremely dry during the winter and he needs a day or 2 to build up his natural oils. It's not like he will be dirty and stinky if he skips a day. Or you could buy some baby oil and put a little in his bath AFTER you wash him and his hair. Let him sit in it for a few and soak it up.
    Anonymous

• I think you need to bathe every 1 or 2 days. No need for every day.
    Anonymous

• I bathe my 17 month old and 2 1/2 year old on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. my daughter has eczema and bathing too much makes it worse.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003250.htm

if his skin is getting dry, then try every other day or even every 3 days.

Anonymous

• My little girls doc told me to only give her a bath ever other day because it dries there skin out. He told me that if I’m going to give her a bath that I should use Aveeno baby wash and lotion. He told me that Aveeno helps to hold the natural moisture into there skin.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I bath my son every other day, I use all the aveeno products too.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• ive ALWAYS bathed my daughter everyday!!! and would never switch to only doing it once every couple days..yaa theres been the odd time she didnt get a bath/shower, but thats only if im not feeling well..otherwise shes gets one! she looks forward to them, and has a blast..as for dry skin, shes never had a problem with that..i use DOVE soap, and every once in a while i used the johnsons and johnsons bedtime baby lotion..mmmm love that smell..but i dunno..i would totally ignore whoever told me to stop bathing my kid every day! i shower everyday..so, so should she!! thats MYYY opinion tho!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i give my 2 year old a bath every nite. shes at the age where she gets sweaty and she stink so she needs it...and she always has food in her hair. just blow dry their hair after and they will be fine.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 2:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I've always bathed mine every night. Part of our bedtime routine..plus I like a clean baby! But yes, it can cause dry skin. I ALWAYS use Aveeno lotion after the bath, though. And sometimes, I give the bath, but without the soap. I still wipe him down with a washcloth, just no soap to kind of give his skin a break.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I try to give DS and DD a bath every night....they've always got food on them or in their hair....whatever....do what's comfortable to you!!! Screw what other people think!!! If you're scared that their skin is getting too dry, use Vaseline or Eucerin...that's what I do!\
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 3:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2008