What does it mean when they try standing with their legs, while crawling?

My son just started crawling. I've noticed every now and then he straightens his legs upright, like he was standing, but still crawling (if you know what I mean). Is that a beginning to something else, like trying to stand?

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 8:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, your little one is going to start pulling up to stand soon. Get ready...he's going to get into EVERYTHING
    happysnappy

Answer by happysnappy at 10:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i am no expert but my friend savannah's baby just started crawling and doing the same thing... it doesn't seem as if she is trying to walk, more or less we had to hold her knees to the floor and alternate her legs so she crawls on her knees... over two days she got better at that and is trucking along just great!
    NewMama80210

Answer by NewMama80210 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• It's normal...I've always have understood it to be the beginning stages to walking and standing....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Mine did it when they didn't like the feeling on their knees: grass, outdoor carpet, etc
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 10:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My son did that right before he started to walk. It is just something that some kids do.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 12:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• He could just be having fun too. Zach did this both while he was learning and still does it now for giggles. Don't be concerned about it!
    ladybugmom62

Answer by ladybugmom62 at 4:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My son started doing this and I thought it was so funny. He doesn't have the strength to stand up from that position yet but it seems like it is preparing him to be able to in the future.

http://1sttimeparents-whatdowedonow.blogspot.com
    NoJo

Answer by NoJo at 10:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2008