Mentally struggling with personal childhood trauma while raising your own children of the same age?

If so, how do you deal with it?

CoffeeWriter

Asked by CoffeeWriter at 5:16 PM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do everything the opposite of what my parents did. I do have this automatic response in me though & that I have to fight. My mind will go to thoughts of yelling & even thoughts that hitting will solve the problem but I have never once given into those automatic impulses in my brain & tell myself that isnt the way & figure out other methods to handle a situation. Its hard I struggle most every day as the years go on I have created an impulse to simply ignore those other impulses.

I also ask other people questions when I am unsure of things. I ask online & in person these questions. I read too books, mags, online about general parenting & issues etc. It can be done but its tough you will get through it, good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:32 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I read a lot of books before I had kids. I consider the fact that I got a very bad upbringing to be a good thing because I was able to throw everything away and start fresh.
    People say that I spoil my kids, but nobody is perfect, and neither am I.
    Rosehips62

Answer by Rosehips62 at 5:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I follow the social queues of other Moms ... and ask a LOT of q's on cafemom. I struggle with providing normalcy, since my childhood had none.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:21 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Went to therapy for 11 years, had to check myself into a hospital twice and it worked out great.
    Anonymous

• I was molested by my step-father & had a mother who turned a blind eye. Pretty traumatic. However, I used the experience to teach myself what kind of parent I DIDN'T want to be. I made sure that my kids never had to deal with anything of the kind. You have a choice in life. You can either let your past ruin your life or you can let it teach you how to be better. I chose to use it to make mine (and my kids) better.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:23 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Abuse verbal and physical formed me good and bad. I have learned there is no pain that cannot be overcome there is no obstical that cannot be brought down and there is no suffering that cannot make you stronger. I refuse to complain my pain has been and inspiration to me. I did what I had to, to make it better for my own kids.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:26 PM on May. 6, 2011

• obstacle lol
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:27 PM on May. 6, 2011