What is your viewpoint on SIDS?

In a lot of cases I have read about, it seems that what is often diagnosed as "SIDS" is an infant death that was completely preventable. I do know that there are special circumstances, in which the parent has no fault. But there are certain instances in which I feel that it is the parent's fault. For example, suffocation from blankets and pillows, or bumper pads. Or tummy sleeping at too young of an age, or second hand smoke. Don't you feel that these parents should be held accountable? I feel that we live in a society in which information is readily available, and it seems that some parents are just neglectful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you must remember that advice is constantly changing and what one doctor will tell you is okay, another will preach against it. This is a tough question. I am terrified of SIDS, I check on my daughter like every half hour and I always rub her back just to remind her to breathe. I can't wait until we get past this first year.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• No on some of those things. If a baby suffocates it does not mean the parent caused it. Things happen. I do like those sids blankets though but everyone is use to using regular blankets and if a baby happens to get that blanket over his/her face at night you can't blame the parent. It doesn't make them neglectful either. some people aren't informed. Some babies die for unknown reasons that don't relate to none of those above. I do believe those are related to vaccinations. Shouldn't the doctors be held accountable? vaccinations are related to SIDS but they make you sign a waiver so you can't do anything.
    Anonymous

• The advice has been the same for a number of years now. And I think it is common sense not to put things like fluffy blankets in a baby. And also, many pediatricians give bad advice all the time. Parents should choose their doctors wisely, and should also have better sense than to follow bad advice.
    Anonymous

• The information about SIDS IS constantly changing. They are constantly telling us knew factors that will reduce your risk of sids, pacifiers and cosleeping being two factors that have been discussed recently, that I can remember.
    When I had my daughter just two years ago, these two factors were never mentioned, but they are now.
    SIDS is accidental. I feel that in many cases, accidents do not warrent pressing charges.
    That said, I try to follow as many of the SIDS guidelines as possible.
    kk_bella

Answer by kk_bella at 12:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Not even when the parent created an environment that is an obviously bad one, like the instances I suggested in the question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• SIDS is "sudden" and they don't have any proof what so ever what causes it, so technically we can't place the blame on anyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i have a friend whose baby just died and the doctors said it was sids. i think she was a good mom and didnt do anything to purposly put her child in danger she said she just woke up and he was dead. which is sad but i dont think a normal parent that loves there kid would do anything to put their baby in harms way
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Once someone has lost their child like that what is the point of punishing them farther? We all try to keep our children safe, but a one in a million thing like that could happen to anyone.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My point is that parents need to be more cautious. Not put fluffy blankets and pillows in bed with their infant, not smoke in the house, and not put an immobile child to sleep on their stomach. I think that some cases of SIDS, not all, were preventable. I'm not saying that people do it on PURPOSE. I think people just need to be smarter and more educated when it comes to caring for children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• my hubby lost a one month old when he was 16yearsold,they let her sleep on her tummy,they didnt know anybetter,but it is god the hospital gives u info now on sids
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008