My family is a very low-income household.Most of our money goes to bills.This leaves very very little or no money for food.What can I do to help put food on my familys table?

mommy_yuki

Asked by mommy_yuki at 11:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Well I do things like lots of soups, casseroles, chili, speghetti, lots of pasta. food like that which you can stretch. When I was a kid we were terrible poor and lived on survivors benefits. My mom would let us sleep in later and we would eat breakfast around 11am, and then dinner about 6pm. This kept us fed and stretched the food because we only ate twice a day. You can fix spegetti for dinner, and then freeze the leftovers in a baking dish, then later in the week have baked speghetti casserole for lunch. Stock up on dried beans, and peanut butter as well because those are a great source of protein if you have a hard time paying for meats.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:47 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Apply for food stamps.
    Anonymous

• apply for food stamps.

get rid of bills for things that are not necessary such as internet and cable tv

budget your money

clip coupons for groceries
    Anonymous

• food stamps are a way..if you are under a certain amout..we were resently on them. everyone needs help every so often.
    also food banks and churches help.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• There are church groups and other organzations. There are also food stamps, but if your income level is too high you won't get them. Same with WIC.

Also, if most of your bills are revolving credit, try to work with your creditors or talk to a non-profit consumer credit counseling service like CCCS.org to make sone arrangements to leave more money for food.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Cont.
    I usually try to save anything and everything that is leftover, for the sake of later meals. I bought small square tupperware and I use those to make up mini meals of leftovers and I freeze them then I can pop them in the microwave for lunch. They can be cheaper then buying frozen dinners. I use alot of peanut butter for snacks, like with cracker or with celery. You can make a pot of chili for one meal, save remaining chili and freeze it, then use it later for chili dogs. Instead of putting leftovers in the frig where they may not be ate, freeze them! You can always use them in something else! If you want to PM me I can give you a few more tips! Good luck!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• hamburger i do alot w/ that tacos and all italan w/ it.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Two years ago we had a winter where I had $35/week for groceries. We own our own business, so we weren't eligible for food stamps. I searched out every discount grocery store I could find. I bought dried beans and pasta whenever I found them on sale. Rice is another staple that you can often find marked way down. If you mix beans and rice you get a perfect protein, so it is very healthy. I bought large sacks of flour and made my own bread. You can make big batches, let it rise, shape the bread, and freeze before the second rising. This way you can put the frozen dough the fridge before bed to defrost.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Continued: Take it out in the morning and let it rise & bake it. Or you can just freeze the baked loaves, depending on how much space you have. I only bought meat that was marked down and froze it or used it right away. Learn to cook from scratch. Processed foods are much more expensive. Use your local library and take out cookbooks, if you don't have your own.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:35 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• We've gone mostly vegetarian and it's saved us a lot of money. Rice and beans are perfect. As are rice and veggies. You can get a bag of frozen vegetables for around one dollar. I would stay away from canned though. They aren't as nutritious and usually have a lot of salt. When money is tight we buy the cheapest fruit - usually apples and bananas. There's a lot you can do with rice and veggies. Spaghetti is cheap too.

Have you heard of Angel Food? Do a search.. it does cost money but some people swear by it. Also check out www.hillbillyhousewife.com - there is a $45 food budget. It's not very healthy though. Personally I think it would cost more just looking at the prices she has listed but it's a start.
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 12:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2008