Help! Cavity advice!!!

My one tooth has been feeling a little sensitive this week. This morning when I brushed it was so painful!
It looks like there is a tiny brown dot right where the gum line is.
A girl at my work said to put a cotton ball in hydrogen peroxide, squeeze it, then place it on the tooth in your mouth and hold it there for a few minutes. It did take the pain away, but will that kill the infection completely? Is it safe to do that? Does anyone have any other home remedies?

The dentist I have to use through my insurance can't see me until the last week in June!!!!
So I am willing to try anything to fix/relieve this til then!

Thank you!!!!!! :D

davesgirl86

Asked by davesgirl86 at 6:30 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Health

• Oh no... that's a long time to wait. Sometimes a family doctor can help you with some antibiotics and pain relievers until you get in to see the dentist. I just went threw something like this myself. What I did for instant pain relief is to swish Listerine in my mouth...and it instantly took away the pain. I also used oil of cloves, but I do not recommend this unless you can not get out of pain any other way because it's corrosive to the gums. Salt water rinses have also been known to help ease pain.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 6:35 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It is safe to do that my dentist told me to take warm water salt and peroxide and swish it around your mouth for a few minutes and repeat about 3 times a day it will help the pain and infection. Good luck I completely feel your pain.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 6:36 PM on May. 6, 2011

• My dentist pulled that crap. I called back and told them I had a problem and to put me on the cancellation list. I was in the next week

Answer by admckenzie at 6:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I would call your insurance company and ask how to handle this. You have an emergency and need to see a dentist sooner than a month and a half.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:40 PM on May. 6, 2011

• So with the water salt and peroxide rinse, did that get rid of the cavity? I've never had one before!! I am also 20 weeks prego and just got done reading about "pregnancy gingivitis" haha.. Did I jinx myself? ;)
    davesgirl86

Comment by davesgirl86 (original poster) at 6:42 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Oh you know what else I did that helped me not to trigger the nerve, I used some stuff called Dent Tack or Dent Teck. It's like a temporary filling you can get over the counter to cover the area where the nerve is exposed and it stays there until you remove it.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 6:42 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Nothing you can do will get rid of a cavity - it's a hole in your tooth that needs to have the bad stuff cleaned out, then they fill it. Did you tell them you're pregnant when you called? They might not fill it while you're pregnant because they almost have to do x-rays to see how deep it is, etc, before they can fill it - otherwise they may miss something. Call them back, tell them the whole situation, and ask what to do - also call your doc/OB and ask him/her what's going to be the best way to deal with it.
    Anonymous