This is gonna sound crazy

But I think I give children cancer. Over the past 7 years 4 children that I have regularly babysat for have gotten the exact same type of brain tumors. I babysat them when I was in high school through early college and I watched them in their own homes. 3 of them were diagnosed with it while I was regularly watching them the other after he had moved so I had stopped watching him by then. These children have nothing in common with each other except they were all between the ages of 8 and 10. They don't go to the same school (one of them was even in a different school district, they don't go to the same church, day cares or have any friends in common (at least none they spend any amount of time with) or live in the same neighborhoods. They don't even eat the same kinds of foods. I know it sounds crazy, I started thinking it after the 3ird was diagnosed but I found out that the 4th was diagnosed several years ago (he was the one who moved away). Could there be something about me that does this?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Health

• No you can't. Very sorry to hear that 4 were diagnosed with cancer
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:33 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Thats very strange!!!!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 7:34 PM on May. 6, 2011

• 2 are fine now, but one is gone and one will never been the same again, mentally or physically she used to be classified as "gifted" at her school, now she can't figure out how to zip her own jacket without help and it's been 2 years since she got in remission
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It does sound strange that all 4 children would get the same exact brain cancer, but obviously they had something in common- the area they lived in at the time, so really it could have been environmental things in the area.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:52 PM on May. 6, 2011

• They lived in different parts of our town, several miles from each other.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:58 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Stop blaming yourself . You can not give kids brain tumors because it is not something contagious. I would suggest that it was something in the environmtent or even something in the genes. I

Primary brain tumors arise from many types of brain tissue (for example, glial cells, astrocytes, and other brain cell types). Metastatic brain cancer is caused by the spread of cancer cells from a body organ to the brain. However, the causes for the change from normal cells to cancer cells in both metastatic and primary brain tumors are not fully understood. Data gathered by research scientists show that people with certain risk factors are more likely to develop brain cancer. Individuals with risk factors such as having a job in an oil refinery, as a chemist, embalmer, or rubber-industry worker show higher rates of brain cancer. Some families have several members with brain cancer, but heredity as a cause for brain tumors has not be
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:43 AM on May. 7, 2011

• members with brain cancer, but heredity as a cause for brain tumors has not been proven. Other risk factors such as smoking, radiation exposure, and viral infection (HIV) have been suggested but not proven to cause brain cancer. There is no good evidence that brain cancer is contagious, caused by head trauma, or caused by cell phone use. Although many lay press and Web articles claim that aspartame (artificial sweetener) causes brain cancer, as of 2009, the FDA maintains that it does not cause brain cancer and base their findings on over 100 toxicological and clinical studies regarding the sweetener's safety
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:45 AM on May. 7, 2011