Is it possible she still hungry? i cant read her cues...ughhh

I cant tell if my baby is hungry or not. earlier she ate 2 1/2 oz about an hr ago..which is 1/2 oz more then usual. she has been drinking 1 1/2 -2 oz...she is screaming and i cant tell if she in pain or not . she nawing at my finger and her fist like she hungry, but for 7 weeks/preemie i dont think she can handle more.. and she will not nap. so i just dint know... cant read her

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 7:28 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it wouldnt hurt to give her more food if u feel she is hungry. Kids eat a lot BC they r growing. Give the baby some food
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:35 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Does her crying sound like "Neee Neeee"? If so, she is truly hungry.
    If she is doing an "eh eh eh eh eh", then it might be gas.

And I agree with chrstny . . . it wouldn't hurt to give her another ounce. My som was a big eater, and at two weeks, he was wanting 4oz.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:40 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Possible, give it a try ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:41 PM on May. 6, 2011

• first try burping her, just in case it's gas. If she burps, great. Usually about 5 min. of patting and rubbing her back will help a bubble to come up. After that, give her some more to eat, and burp again. Then see if she will sleep...just hold her close and hum a soft song...if she is tired, she will fall asleep.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 7:43 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I nursed my kids, so couldn't really determine how many ounces they ate. BUT, both of them would occasionally do marathon feeding sessions where they would literally nurse for 3 hours straight. We'd try doing other things with them but they'd just scream and fuss until they got to nurse again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:47 PM on May. 6, 2011

• ..if she's got gas, her belly will be tight. im a firm believer that whiny babies are usually just hungry babies!!! bend your forefinger and put it to her cheek.. if she 'roots' for it (trying to get her mouth to your finger) she's hungry. feed that baby!! and dont worry, mama.. you'll learn. it takes time. dont be discouraged. you're doing great!!
    eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 8:05 PM on May. 6, 2011

• always try it and if thats not what she wants, try bruping her again, sometimes they don't get it all out at once. cheack her diaper to. make sure she is comfortable and make sure she is not over or undressed for the weather. singing to her is always good to and rocking.good luck mama, its not easy but it does get easier.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 8:36 PM on May. 6, 2011