How did you decide on names?

ARe they family names? Favorite names? Named after a famous person?

I named our first after Laura Ingalls Wilder. I know it sounds cheesey but I always loved the name Laura and it suits our daughter perfectly. We also liked Hailey cause it just went well with Laura as a middle name.

Our second we named after Amelia Earhart(spelling?) cause she's one of my favorite historical icons. Spunky, adventurous and brave. I'd like our daughter to believe that she can also be spunky, adventurous and brave. And for a middle name we named her Anne cause I like the name Anne just not for a first name.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 7:35 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Baby Names

• I got my daughter's names from an actress and a soap opera character, but I didn't necessarily name my daughter after them. I just loved the names! Her name is Scarlett Abigail.

We already have our next child's names picked out and they're family names. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:38 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Ariane was the name of a perfume my mom had; I thought it was pretty. Her two middle names, Beth and Hope, are my mom's and grandma's middle names. I think I read the name Clio in a book by Louisa May Alcott and liked it. Clio was the Greek muse of History. Her first middle name, Esther, was the name of my grandma, and Elena just seemed to fit. Clio Esther Elena...sounds kinda like music.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 7:39 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I love Scarlet Abigail! That's pretty!
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 7:39 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Went through the baby names lists and each one of us made a list of the ones we liked. Then we voted on each others lists. Ones that had 2 votes down were off the list. Till we got a list of names we all liked. Then we chose from that list.

For a second name we couldn't decide on what fit with our first pick. So we turned to family names and found one that way.

Our DS is going to be named Wyatt Eldon.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:39 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Baby #1 I had two names picked, one was a friend of mines and we went with that.
    Baby #2 I also named after a friend & my ex husband
    Baby #2 I just liked the name
    Baby #4 Family name
    Baby #5 Family name

Answer by gemgem at 7:46 PM on May. 6, 2011

• My husband picked our first 2 girls names out and I picked the middle names...not named after anyone specific. My little girl I am carrying now is going to be named after bother of her gmas (she is our last baby) Ashlynn Eileen. Lynn was my moms middle name Eileen is my husbands moms middle name and we had to do an A name because we are a happy A family lol
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:57 PM on May. 6, 2011

• The ONLY name I insisted on was my daughter's middle name. My paternal grandmother was an AMAZING woman and I wanted to honor her for that. But, I did not want to use her name as a first name because it's a little overused in my family right now.

For both of my kid's first names we went through a baby names book and made our own lists of names we liked. Then we got together and crossed off names from the other list that we hated, but we each had veto power. From that we narrowed it down to one we liked. From there we just kicked around ideas for my son's middle name until we found one we liked.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:57 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Bother-both
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:01 PM on May. 6, 2011

• for our son I would say hw about this....and he would make an ugly face...until one day he said how about Damien "The Omen" Yeoman...I, naturally said ummm no...then the name Damien started growing on me and I loved it. So we went with Damien and his middle name is a family name after my maternal grandpa (he's wonderful!!) so we have Damien Isaac!

with Baby #2 we'll just have to see what happens :)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 9:27 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am pregnant with my first and I plan on naming the baby after my grandfather who passed in October and was everything to me. For a boy it will be Charles and call him charlie since that is what we all called my grandfather( in my heart I know it is a boy and I can not think of any girl names to go with Charli since that is what we would use for a girl).
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:38 PM on May. 6, 2011