Has anyone else experienced this before?

Back in 2004/2005 I would have "episodes" where I would start shaking really really badly, feel weak, almost faint-like, and even start sweating a little. It would ALWAYS happen at work (I was 18/19 years old, and worked at Qdoba preparing food). It would eventually sit down and eat lunch and feel quite a bit better shortly after. I went to the doctors and had blood tests done for multiple things...the ones I remember were Hypoglycemia and Anemia. All my tests came back normal.

It abruptly stopped and I didn't have anymore episodes....until Monday evening. I was making dinner and it just hit me, worse than I can ever remember. I felt faint and was shaking so badly that I could barely take the casserole dish out of the oven. Even after eating, it took quite a while to feel better. And then just about an hour ago it was same thing. And this time I felt VERY faint. I am alone with my two little boys so I quickly grabbed a bowl of ice cream hoping it would help quickly.

I always turn to food when this happens thinking by blood sugar is just low or something, but Monday night and today it just doesn't seem to work. I am still a little shaky and still not "feeling" great.

If this keeps up I will definitely be going to the doctor for more blood tests, but I am really not sure what more they could test for. Has anyone else experienced this? Did you find out what it was?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 7:43 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Health

• extreme pain or stress used to make me faint. you could also try going to webmd.com and click on the symptom checker (or put in the search box the weakness and fainting thing) You would be surprised what answers you can find there.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 7:48 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I do have that happen to me from time to time, but again, I always contribute it to low blood sugar. Mine happens when I have waited to the last possible second to eat.. I am extremely hungry. I'm trying to eat little portions throughout the day to stop that from happening though. I would definitely talk to the Dr. about it next time you are there. Also, I have to ask if you are taking any medications that would contribute to feeling that way. I know that Prednisone will cause that type of feeling as will some of the **mycin antibiotics.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:49 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I have that every once in a while . . .latest labs showed:

low Vitamin D
    low DHEA
    Beginnings of thyroiditis.

?

It could also be from exhaution. I know alot of us mommies are sooooo tired.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:53 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Have you had your blood pressure checked?
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 7:54 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It sounds like low blood sugar AKA Hypoglycemia. I would go to your doctor and ask for a blood workout including an A1c....that measures your blood glucose levels over the coarse of 3 months. When you feel that way it's important to have a fast acting sugar like pop or juice and then follow it up with something long lasting like half a sandwich or a granola bar
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:55 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I have thought about stress as well...

My boys and I are on a pretty good eating schedule and we eat at the same times everyday, so that makes me think it's NOT low blood sugar. It can happen one day and not the next and my schedule is the exact same.

Hm..I might have to look up low Vit D and DHEA...

No I haven't had my blood pressure checked, but that might be a good next step...
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on May. 6, 2011

• BTW feeling of low blood sugar are feeling hungry, shaky, faint, sweats, slurred speech, feeling weak, lightheaded, dizzy....I am a type 2 diabetic, but anyone can suffer from low blood sugar...but a few of my personal tells of a low is I wring my hands like crazy (think restless leg syndrome in my hands) and forget I just said something a second ago and I keep repeating myself....It's very important to get some sugar/carbs in you, because you CAN actually go into a coma. It wouldn't hurt to buy a roll of glucose tabs, they taste like a cake of pixie stix....lol
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:58 PM on May. 6, 2011

• My vit D was low despite the fact that I take a daily multivite and get sun. The doc put me on a supplementation regimen, and I am starting to feel alot better!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:59 PM on May. 6, 2011

• 1) Check your blood pressure. Too high or too low can cause those problems you mention.

2) You may have problems with glucose dyscontrol and still test negative for hypoglycemia (my kids are like that). Additional testing may be required.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 7, 2011