Cookie swallow study

My 12 month old son has sounded raspy since he was about 4 months old. I think it may be reflux, but of course i dont know for sure because he has never been tested for it. A swallow study is done when there is concern that food and drinks are going down correctly. He often coughs while eating and drinking also. I was wondering if any moms out there have had this swallow study done with your children and what the outcome was. I have a good idea of what goes on during the study. I know it is a non-invasive test and i am glad about that! We have been through other blood tests and one MRI for my son having severe developmental delays, but so far everything has come back normal and i am also happy about that. Thanks.

team21

Asked by team21 at 7:57 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Never heard of it, but it can't be too bad if it involves cookies.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:11 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I had to do this and it is not too bad. All they do is give him a piece of cookie to chew and swallow while they take pictures to see how it goes down. They will do this a couple times. When I did it, they showed me my results right away. They actually showed me the footage they had of me chewing and swallowing.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:14 PM on May. 6, 2011

• We had one done on Ela at about 9 months, because she kept getting choked and would always sit straight up when taking a bottle. They put her in this cute little chair with a safety belt like an amusement park ride, lifted her up to align her with the x ray machine, and fed her different textures. I was with her the whole time. They watched on the x ray as the food went down. It turned out that small portions of liquid were going into her airway, so we had to thicken her liquids for about a year with a tasteless thickener called Thick-et. The hardest part was not feeding her before the test so she would be hungry. Good luck!
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:23 AM on May. 7, 2011

• My daughter and niece had reflux. They were able to determine it without a swallow test. Good lock to you and your little boy.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 9:57 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Never heard of a cookie swallow study. Hope it all gets figured out soon.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I've heard of swallow studies but never cookie swallow studies. Are his tonsils maybe on the large side and affecting him? My DD was struggling to eat, and had other issues, and it turned out to be her tonsils being too big.
    Anonymous

• never had this done but I hope you get some answers!
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:31 PM on May. 6, 2011

• We haven't done a cookie swallow but a barium swallow study. They give them different consistencies of liquids and food and watch them chew and swallow it through an x-ray. My son has had 4 or 5 now and we're getting ready for yet another one. He has dysphagia. It's pretty neat watching it get done. It doesn't hurt to ask for one. I would ask for a referral to a GI or ENT though if I were you, they will be better to help you out and faster than a general pedi.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 11:34 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Ive never heard of that test...
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:32 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I have never heard of this, but will do some reading up on it. Good luck!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 4:17 PM on May. 7, 2011