I lost about 25 pounds back in the fall, and have since plateued a little. Since I lost weight my hair has thinned, especially on top. Doctor told me this can be normal, and I take vitamins. Has anyone else lost a lot of weight, and had problems with thinning or losing their hair? Did it get back to normal? I still want to lose about 25 lbs, but not my hair.

I am almost 41 years old, and I have always had thick hair. I had blood work done and everything was normal. Help!

Virginiagal67

Asked by Virginiagal67 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I have seen this happen to so many of my friends...they each had bi-pass surgery. The doctors are right about taking the vitamins and eating healthy. I had a bit of a hair loss problem at one time and used a shampoo recommended by my hair dresser. It is called Mane and Tail...it is not just for horses anymore. LOL It worked for me...hope it does for you too. I buy it at Wal-mart in the pet isle...Naay!!! LOL good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Unfortunately weight loss can cause hair loss/thinning...Makes sure your diet is balances usually hair loss is caused by not enough protien and or STRESS....Im a stylist and see it often...lots of time we need to add vitamins....protien...and drink plenty of water..Also a good product sols in salons is NIOXON..designed for thinning hair..they also have vitamins..alittle pricy but works very well...All my clients are please with it(those that needed it)
    BlessedwLife

Answer by BlessedwLife at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I lost 50 lbs and my hair is very thin on top now. I like the weight off but would like my hair back. I used to have thick hair too! Now I wear scarfs, headbands or hats. I also use Nioxin products. It plumps up the hair to make it look thicker. I also started highlighting my hair. The dark hair made my bald head show through so I have dark and blond streaks that gives the illusion of hair up there! My doctor is working on helping me use hormones for several things including more weight loss but so far the hair doesn't look like it will come back. I eat protein (lots of it) at every meal. So far nothing new on the hair front. I'm single and it sucks but so far guys don't seem to have a problem with it. it's just me.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Here are some reviews look at these and see what you think http://www.livenbig.com/WeightLoss
    knepppi

Answer by knepppi at 6:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009