Did Bin Laden's tell his children not to join al-Qaida?

Bin Laden's will says his children must not join al-QaidaNewspaper prints will that says wives should not remarry and states his regret at neglect of children due to 'devotion to jihad'

sama bin Laden regretted not spending more time with his children and doesn't want them to follow in his footsteps. Photograph: Anonymous/AP
Osama Bin Laden's last wish, according to a document purported to be his will, was that his wives not remarry after his death and his children not join al-Qaida.
Al-Anbaa, a Kuwaiti newspaper, reported on Tuesday that the will, marked "private and confidential" was dated 14 December 2001, three months after the 9/11 attacks, when US forces were hunting him in Afghanistan.
The four-page document, written on a computer and signed by "your brother Abu Abdullah Osama Muhammad Bin Laden," predicts that he would die by the "treachery" of those around him. Al-Anbaa does not reveal how or when it obtained the will or whether it was able to authenticate it. Al-Majallah, a Saudi-owned Arabic magazine, published a similar document in 2002 but it was dismissed as a fraud by a pro-jihadi website.
In the document, Bin Laden lists the assault on New York's twin towers in a sequence beginning with the suicide bomb attack on US marines in Lebanon in 1983, the killing of 19 US marines serving as UN peacekeepers in Somalia in 1993 and the bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi in 1998.
But its most striking feature is that he orders his wives not to remarry and urges his children not to join al-Qaida or go to "the front", citing the example of the seventh century Muslim Caliph Omar bin Khattab to his son Abdullah. Bin Laden also asked his children to forgive him for not having spent enough time with them.
"I have chosen a path fraught with dangers and endured hardships, disappointment and betrayal. If it wasn't for betrayal, things would be different today.
"As for you, my sons, forgive me if I failed to devote more of my time to you since I answered the call to Jihad."

He ends his will by advising "the mujahideen wherever they are" to suspend "the fight against the Jews and the Crusaders and start to purge your ranks of agents and defeatists."

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 8:28 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Who gives a chit.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:33 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I read that he not only told them not to join, but also cited the Quran as to why they can't. Funny. I would have thought they would follow in dad's footprints. He wasn't a father to them and doesn't want them to follow his path. Interesting.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:34 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I just can't stand the hipocracy of it all.
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on May. 6, 2011

• That is kinda ironic @ jesse123456 and @tnmomof five then why bother answer if you don't give a chit?
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 8:39 PM on May. 6, 2011

• jesse didn't say she doesn't give a chit...and harris exactly where did you comment directly on the op?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:41 PM on May. 6, 2011

• So you don't care that he didn't believe in what he killed for?
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Not really. He shouldn't have done it if je didn't believe it.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:50 PM on May. 6, 2011

• So you don't care that he didn't believe in what he killed for? Comment by emilysmom1966

Why would his beliefs matter if he killed people anyhow?  It doesn't mitigate the devastation he bestowed on so many. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• tnmomofive: If you don't want to give a 'chit', I'm fine with that. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be. Maybe we should expand freedom of speech to include 'freedom of opinion'. Then, you could not give a chit and no one would give a chit either!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:24 PM on May. 7, 2011