New bill would allow California school districts to impose their own taxes

...personal income taxes, taxes on oil/gas, sweetened beverages, alcohol, cigarettes..a myriad of things.

How do you feel about the possiblity of school districts entering the taxing arena?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/05/MN1O1JBV6F.DTL&tsp=1

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:11 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. CA is good at making it hard to do business in their state. My cousin is high in the ranks at LAFD and he says that many of the guys that he has worked with over the years move out of state even while keeping their job at LAFD. They just commute from other states like Nevada, Arizona, NM and Texas. It just isn't affordable to live in CA anymore.  They lose residents and they end up losing all of that money that would be spent 'stimulating' their economy.  Their own state government policies are what will end up being the demise of that state.  It's sad for those that live there and aren't in favor of those policies. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:04 PM on May. 7, 2011

• That could be very worrisome for CA residents. Independent school districts impose taxation in TX and it's a huge portion of the total tax bill.

We moved recently and just got our estimated tax form and the school district tax easily 2/3 of the total estimate.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:31 PM on May. 6, 2011

• The only thing that I find good about it is that if you want to be in a specific school district due to it's ratings, you know how much you are paying for it. Not to mean that all schools in the district are equal. I know Harris county schools don't rate particularly high, but there are specific schools within Harris county that are fantastic schools. There is so much more to it than taxes I am sure.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:01 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I love that the TX districts have a right hand on the money in their areas! We're currently moving from Dallas to Frisco JUST for the school! I love having the choice to move to where the opportunity is. It's empowering, and no one will be divvying up my tax dollars to spread far and wide. I've searched laboriously for a great school for DD, and I'd be disappointed if it began to decline based on the allocation of the district's funding to other areas. Bash if you will, but if I pay more, I should get more, especially if we're sacrificing to make it happen. JMO.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:04 PM on May. 7, 2011

• This would create such a mess. More money out of the taxpayers wallet and more accounting for businesses.

Oregon has a very uneven way of distributing school money. They distribute all the tax money, even that collected from property taxes. The worse a school is performing the more money it gets shoved its way. There is also a lot of politcal payoff. It really hurts the kids.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 10:12 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I think the most concerning thing about additional taxation is that I know CA taxes are pretty hefty. At least they were 10-15 years ago and I doubt they changed much in the time since. DH and I married in April several years back. I was living in CA and he was in another state. I claimed 0 exemptions at the time and the following year when I was figuring out our taxes CA nailed me for additional money because of how much DH made in another state. HE had never lived in CA, yet they felt that they weren't just entitled to ALL of the tax money I had paid in, they also felt entitled to a nice little portion of HIS money as well. No matter how I figured them (married filing joint, married filing separate) they still were asking for more money. It was a few hundred dollars, so I just paid it at the time and vowed that I would NEVER move back to that thieving state again. Loved the weather though, bless their heart.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:04 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Quinn, at least your money stays in your district. Here all the money goes to the state and they divide it up the way they want. Our district has scored very well on the tests for the past several years and man they are getting the budget chopped because of it. You should see the extra money under performing schools are getting.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:45 PM on May. 6, 2011

• So, they want to be able to levy additional sales tax on specific items to make revenue for additional funds for their state's dept. of education? I have a hard time with that, considering states don't usually know when enough is enough. All they see are pockets to put their hands into. So, what happens when the burden of taxes causes less consumption of these products and their estimated revenue falls short? Where will the money come from then? Just one more reason I moved away from that state.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:34 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Yes Quinn, that is exactly what they want to do! It's nuts! I can't imagine giving our district that kind of power.

Cali is in a sink hole and they still haven't figured out that more taxing isn't the answer. Their taxes on dry cleaning is so much that I am now doing uniforms for FOUR CA highway patrol units. One of them is more than 250 miles away..they take their uniforms to the next closest unit and they bring it in with theirs. The uniforms were costing them $16 ea..compare that to my $7. It is a significant amount of business lost by their areas dry cleaners.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:24 AM on May. 7, 2011

• The uniforms were costing them $16 ea..compare that to my $7. It is a significant amount of business lost by their areas dry cleaners.

OH MY WORD!  That's a load of money.  It makes one wonder how the dry cleaners in CA can stay in business with prices so high. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:10 PM on May. 7, 2011