Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Involuntary removable of parental rights

my sons bio father walked out (actually he had the police put me and my son out) when my son was one. I was hurt but I still tried to allow them to have a relationship while my son and I were living from hotel to hotel before finding a shelter that helped me get my first place, but he refused to be bothered with my son. He told me in many text messages and emails that we were better off without him and to just leave him alone. He got involved in another relationship and disowned my son. I moved on, he ended up in prison. I got my life together and found a great guy years later. Now after 2 yrs we're deciding to get married. I spoke to my sons bio father soon after he was released from prison. I tried to set up child support and visitation, he refused, he was more interested in 'me'. He got into contact with my dad who for whatever reason told my ex all my businessabout me beingengaged and now myex, is claiming after being released from prison for a year to want to 'see his son'. He's not considering supporting him, he says he only wants to see him, however when he contacts me he only talks about 'us'. I've told him over and over we're through but he refuses to let up. I know he only wants to see my son so he can see me. He says, 'we're supposed to be the happy family.' Prior to him contacting me today I filed a petition to have his parental rights removed. He hasn't supported or seen my son in over 3 years, they have no bond, no relationship, my son has absolutely no idea who he is. I dont want my son going through the emotional turmoil he did when we were living in shelters and hotels. It is unfair to him that he is only doing this out of spite for me getting my life together and moving on like he told me to. He has no job, is on parole for drug charges, has domestic violence, history,among many othre things. I know this is common as men like to make things harder for us when we dont want anything to do with them. Im seeing an att. on Monday but has anyone successfully had their ex rights removed.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • Yes especially if he refuses to pay child support! Tell him either pay or sign away rights. If still a no go then def. will do it through att.!

    Answer by harris4 at 9:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

  • I think you'll have a slam dunk on your hands.

    WORST case scenario they attempt a few supervised visits which I'm sure he'll miss 90% of...... parental abandonment is huge, though (which is what he did) so I think you can go into court confident. Is your attorney confident too?

    Answer by hibbingmom at 9:25 PM on May. 6, 2011

  • I seen no reason why the petition wouldn't go through for you. He is a classic case of a dead-beat-sperm donor..He sounds like a real winner. I suggest you get a restraining order again him along with the petition, that way he  will not be allowed to (by law) call, talk or see you and your son or your almost husband. 

    It might take awhile to be granted your request. This way  you can have reassurance and piece of mind that you dont have to deal with that asshat!


    Answer by Ihatelaundry at 9:28 PM on May. 6, 2011

  • i hate to tell you but where im from they can be missing for yrs and then you file the petition..if they call the very next day saying they want visitation that puts your order out...i tried to have my sd moms rights terminated..she found out and called the day before she was served and i had to wait another 6mnths..because they have to be absent from the childs life for 6 consecutive months...but in your case with his criminal history you might have something on your side..he def does not sound like the type of person i would want my child around..def see an attn..your laws may be diff where you live and i hope they are...good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on May. 6, 2011

  • My Gr- DD's sperm donor had his parental rights taken away after he was on drugs and in jail afte a rape charge. It was still very hard, the Court said none of that proved he was a bad Dad and didn't love his DD. We were like knocked over with WTF, would you want you DD or Gr-DD around this scum, give her a break her. It took 3 long days in Court to finally get his rights terminated and we were so very happy for this little girl. He can not have any contact with her written, phone or in person, neither can his family. But if you do take any support, that does get him visitation rights, so that means you need to have NOTHING to do with him what so ever if you can help it. Good Luck.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:42 AM on May. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
Garage Sales!!

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
How much more can there be?