Will I need to get rid of our puppy?

We got our 9 week old puppy 3 days ago and today she is starting to get crabby with our youngest son who is 22 months. She growls at him when he gets near her or touches her. He is alittle rough with her, acting his age I suppose, but we are working with him. Today she nipped at his face. She is a Yorkie and only weighs like a pound so the nip was nothing but it really worries me. Are we going to have to get rid of her or is she gonna get use to him? Any advice? My other son who is 5 is super attached and i hate the thought having to get rid of her already :(

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 9:16 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Get the puppy into training... It should pass with the puppy growing up and your ds too, but your puppy needs to go into training.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:17 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Maybe until your youngest is able to be nice you should Not allow him around the dog? My kids were brought up around dogs and really never had an issue but my niece did and they kept him and made her learn to be nice. Especially if your 5 yr old is good with him.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 9:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Yorkies are very jealous dogs. It could be dangerous for the dog to with how small your children are. They could accidentally run over it and hurt it very bad or even kill it.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• She's just a puppy! Dogs don't come automatically well behaved. Neither do children! Everyone involves need training. Enroll your dog in puppy class. And teach your kids how to play nice with the puppy.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• 9 weeks is to young for the puppy to be away from it's mother and littermates.This is a critical time for the litter to start learning not to bite and to become socialized to people.The puppy will also need more than 3 days to adjust to a new family.You could work with the pup in learning a few commands as he/she is too young for a formal training class,also the puppy should have all of it's shots before being out with alot of other dogs.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:24 PM on May. 6, 2011

• He probably hurt the dog and thats why shes doesn't like him, you need to make sure hes nice ALL the time to her and the dog gets trained. I'd keep them apart at all times when you can't fully watch them both and teach him to be nice. Shes a puppy now and will get somewhat bigger and be able to bit harder. I wouldn't get rid of the dog unless she got very aggressive, maybe tell you 5 year old to keep the dog away from his brother extra eyes always help.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 9:25 PM on May. 6, 2011

• 9 weeks is not too young. Though a lot of breeders do prefer to home at 12 weeks to give a little extra time, 8 weeks is generally accepted as Ok to go to new homes.

Regardless, you can't expect a puppy to not nip. Their teeth are still coming in, and it sounds like the child hurt the baby and was too rough anyway.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:34 PM on May. 6, 2011

• the child hurt the puppy*
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:35 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Don't leave the puppy and either of the kids alone ever! And I would start crate/kennel training the puppy! Dogs do not like being face to face with you, its like a threat to them. Stop letting your kids "kiss" the dog and just teach them to teach her to fetch or something.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:39 PM on May. 6, 2011

• yorkies are known to be aggressive with small children training may help but it would be safest to probably get rid of it just until your youngest is old enough to understand how to act around animals you know not to be to rough, dont pull tail, etc. good luck
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 9:55 PM on May. 6, 2011