"I'm going home" .... pretty typical for play?

my kids are preschool & kindergarten and their mutual BFF is in 1st grade. I'm not really sure what to make of her, is she OVERLY bossy or age appropriate? Every time things aren't going completely her way she threatens to leave and one/both of my kids cave in to her demands.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:20 PM on May. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be just that age, I have a daughter in first grade and I knew kids like that growing up but for some kids they're just always like that.

I've dealt with a couple of neighborhood kids acting that way towards my kids - too often my 6 year old DD gives in, she is too much of a "people pleaser" and I always have to tell her to stand up for herself and to not give in just to make the older kids happy. Luckily my 5 year old DD has her father's exact attitude and that little girl doesn't do anything she doesn't want to do when it comes to other kids. She can't be intimidated or threatened into doing something or giving someone else their way. She shares and is polite to other children but she doesn't deal with drama.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:33 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It's about one in the same. Some little girls are just like that. Is she an only child or the youngest? She's probably just used to getting her way at home.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I know a couple of first graders like that, so I think its pretty typical.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:23 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I had a bossy little cousin to my dd. I told dd that she didn't need to follow her commands. Now they don't play together anymore because my dd has backed away from her cousin's demands and playstyle. I don't know when but when the little cousin gets it, I'm sure that dd will play with her again. One example: Dd wanted to come see me and give me a kiss, cousin told her "No you can't." Dd got upset.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 9:50 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It does sound typical, but it definitely needs to be addressed. Do you know this girl's parents and/or are friends with them? Maybe try to have a non-confrontational chat with them about the way the kids play. See if the parents aren't opposed to speaking with the girl about the importance of sharing play time and that you can't ALWAYS get what you want when dealing with others?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:52 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I had friends like that growing up, and my parents basically told me that I needed to share and take turns, but I was not obligated to follow her every demand and to let her go home if she wasn't going to "play nice".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:27 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Its typical but still needs to be adressed.... I have told both my dd and the other girl (don't ask me why but usually its more a girl thing than a boy thing) that its NOT okay to threaten to take away a friendship etc. That if she wants to go home ... fine we'll keep playing with out her.
    And yes I've stepped in and done the talking FOR the other child (my kid or not). Right now in our neighborhood dd usually plays with one other girl... but they BOTH have very strong personalities, and the BOTH do things like that to each other (they are 5 and 6) abouth 300x's a day.
    The adults... we tell them to deal with each other now b/c we know that they are pretty equal but we also correct it when WE hear it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:48 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i agree its typical
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 3:13 PM on May. 7, 2011