What do you do when your child has a temper tantrum?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 10:07 PM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's been a while, but when we were home, I made them go in their room and shut the door until they were done. If it was in public, I carried them out to the car until it was over. I never made anything of it and other than what I said above, I ignored them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:10 PM on May. 6, 2011

• put them in their room and tell them they may come out when they are calm, then walk away and ignore them....until they are calm that is!
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 10:09 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I do the same as PP. She comes out and then apologizes for her tantrum.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:10 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I ignored them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:13 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Send them to their room and tell them I don't want to see it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:34 PM on May. 6, 2011

• ignore it is the best things to do. They do it for attention so when you are panicking trying to figtue out how to make it stop they get exactly what they want adn learn to do it more. I did the same for whinning, you can stand in the corner and whine there when you are done I will be glad to talk to you.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 10:42 PM on May. 6, 2011

• What i do when my 2 year old son has a temper tantrum get one of those squishy ball things and have him squeez that while i gentaly squeez his arm and it works but DONT put them in time-out it only influences them to make bad choices
    Carrigan

Answer by Carrigan at 10:48 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd have DD go to her room and make her sit there and I'd tell her she's not to come out of her room until she can behave herself and she's ready to apologize....then I'd leave the room, shut the door and ignore her.

After so many minutes, she'd stop having her tantrum and she'd come downstairs and apologize for the way she acted.
    Holtswife24

Answer by Holtswife24 at 10:52 PM on May. 6, 2011

• walk away and ignore the behavior that way they see it is a waste of time to act that way
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:28 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I put him in his bed. He gets over it quickly
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 12:33 AM on May. 7, 2011