Do your kids respect their father? Who is more strict and who does more of the parenting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Like all kids, mine have their good and bad days. They listen to both of us as we both do the parenting. But I would have to say that he is a little more strict than I am (at times).
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My ds sometimes seems to have more respect for his dad than me, but he understands how wonderful he has it with him, my dh was my ds stepfather from the time he was 1 and then adopted him at 14, so he sees how some step parents are and respects his dad for taking the responsibility and treating him as if he was his own his whole life. As far as who is more strict it depends on the situation, dh was the baby of 6 and I was the oldest of 3 (later 9 when dad remarried) so we see things differently.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• my kids always listen to their father better then me yet he doesn't live here and was never really part of their life. i think society makes it seem like the father has more power then the mother cause you often can get the sentence out stating wait till your father gets home. my new husband does just as much parenting as me. they listen pretty good but my youngest is more stubborn and he is harder to get to follow the rules.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes, they respect their father. I think they respect us the same. And we share in the parenting. He is more strict than I am, but I don't ever undermine him, nor vice versa. Usually we discuss punishments, but if one of us doles out a punishment, the other supports it.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 4:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My 14 year old does not respect his dad and I don't know why. He's been there since day 1 ,and he's always supported us. I would have to say he is more strict than I am, he thinks a few whacks with the belt will do the trick. I hate the belt and don't really spank my kids, but they listen to me better than him. My boys are 22, 14, 5. And boy are they all completely different. My oldest is from my first marraige and he never disrespected his stepdad. I dont get it. I hope I survive, its tough sometimes.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My husband is the discipline person but it bit him in the ass when my son turned 18 he moved out. My kids have always listened to him better than me though, and if he wasn't here my kids might have gotten out of control. I am the one they confide in so I think its a good balance. For them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2008