3 yr old won't poop in toilet! Help!!!!!

My three year old refuses to use the toilet when he has to poop. He wears underwear most of the time but when it comes to when he has to #2, he either waits until the evening when I change him into a pullup to go or would just go in his underwear. I always tell him that's unacceptable and that he is to use the toilet for #1 & 2. Is this normal? Do kids take longer to #2 in the toilet? When did your kids #2? Any suggestions to this dilemma?

J.A.Mommy

Asked by J.A.Mommy at 11:13 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe someone will give you a better answer-- but from my experience, they will go when they are ready. My daughter was almost 4 before she pooped in the toilet. She would NOT do it. No stickers, no bribes, no encouragement, no talks, no threats, nothing would work. A lady that had 4 children told me to let it go and one day she would just decide to do it. One week before her 4th birthday she got out of bed in the middle of the night, pooped, wiped, and came and told me and went back to bed. With my other two, it was never an issue.
    I work with a lady that just had the exact same experience with her little boy. He REFUSED to go and I told her the same thing and she let it go and one day he just decided he was ready, he was almost 4. My girl and her boy are both very bright, independent, strong willed children.
    Hopefully someone else can tell you what will work, but that is my experience ; D

pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:18 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It does take longer to learn to poop in the potty. It is a whole different skill set that comes, usually, shortly after the whole peeing concept is squared away. Don't be too angry- it only stresses them out. Keep encouraging and practicing... and it'll come! Once he figures it out it'll be a since.

Sadly, at this age, they understand stress and frustration but don't know how to overcome it or know how to deal with it! Thus, it takes MORE patience on our end to compensate.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:21 PM on May. 6, 2011

• oops- that should be sinch! not since.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:22 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Historymama has a good point. My daughter is independent, but she doesn't like feeling pressured at all. Maybe she just didn't like me making a big deal about it, good or bad. So when I left her alone and acted like I didn't care, she just start doing it.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:31 PM on May. 6, 2011

• thank you all for the feedback. Its just really frustrating and I would like him to go to the bathroom for #2 before he begins school in September, Very frustrating
    J.A.Mommy

Comment by J.A.Mommy (original poster) at 12:15 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Just wanted to let you know that my daughter is the same way, she will wait until she has a pull up on which is when we put her to bed. I agree with the other ladies, they will go when they're ready.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:15 AM on May. 7, 2011

• thank you for responding :) Its good to know that I am not the only one experiencing this
    J.A.Mommy

Comment by J.A.Mommy (original poster) at 12:18 AM on May. 7, 2011