Toddler constipation....

My DD is 14 months and has really bad constipation. I am upping her fluid intake and fiber, but so far she just seems really uncomfortable. It's all the time and doesn't seem to be related to any certain food she eats. The more fresh fruit and fiber she has, the better it seems to get, but she can't survive on only fruits. She also has acid reflux and is on medication for that plus I make sure she gets yogurt a few times a week to help her belly. Any moms have experiece with this? The Doc just told me to give her more fluids and fruit... like I'm doing now, but what else can I do? He also suggested juice, which is helping a little, but it isn't that great for her teeth. HELP!

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 11:13 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• veggies help too. Eat beans...Add flax seed oil to her foods or a scoop of bran to your baking. More whole grains . Do not feed her foods like hot dogs and mac n cheese..Get her outside running and playing consistently. twist and touch toes.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• My DD who is now 3 has had a problem with constipation since she was a baby. I do everything the docs tell me to do, but just as you described it only helpes a little. I finally got the go ahead to give her miralax daily. Discuss this with her pedi. It has done wonder for my little one. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Her dosage is much much much smaller than an adults dosage. I wanted to add that in there. So, if you are cosidering it...do talk to her pedi first. They can give you the correct dosage for her age and weight
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:42 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I give my son a pediasure it seems to have helped him I give it to him in the morning with breakfast. Ask your doc if you should try it,don't know why you couldn't but still ask.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 11:45 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Dairy can be a constipator...so try cutting out the yogurt - there's an overload of sugar in that too that can contribute to it. Also if she's drinking a lot of milk, cut back - she should be drinking mostly water, 6 oz a day of juice maximum, and a couple servings of dairy.
    Anonymous

• there is something called pedia lax you will have to ask your dr since i think they have to be 2 but mine had the same problem and i gave them prune juice and it went straight threw them. lol
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 9:37 AM on May. 7, 2011