Experience moving overseas???

Hi,

My husband has an opportunity to move to Italy for work. We would be living in Torino, Italy. We have 2 children (1.5 and almost 3) and another child due in August. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? What was it like? Both my husband and I have traveled... and I have studied abroad, etc. We also have already moved out of state from the rest of our family.... so we are completely used to being w/o family nearby. I guess I am just nervous about schooling... and doctors... and getting around. Like would I even have a car? Would I just use public transit. Things of this nature. So I am curious to hear from others who were in a similar situation. If it were just me and my my husband... it would be a no brainer... and i'd be ready to go in a second. But we have 3 little ones... so i am concerned. On one hand I feel like it is just too much to handle... language barriers, being in an unfamiliar place with 3 kids, getting around the city. But on the other hand I feel like it is a great opportunity. I also do have family... in Torino. I am of course not close with them... but my father grew up there. So in emergency... i wouldnt be totally alone I guess. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think the benefits of intercultural exchange would outweigh the hassles you've described. I've never left the United States and neither has DH, but if either of us had the opportunity to go abroad I think I'd jump at that chance. I'm jealous of a friend of mine who is in Korea right now; I know there are reasons why the experience might not be fun for her, but her DD was born there and her DS is learning Korean.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 12:13 AM on May. 7, 2011

• r u military? when i went to korea it was hectic moving bc u can only take so many bags on the plane so we were trying to take everything to last us until our household goods got there! n as always u never manage to have everything. but at least if ur military u have a hotel on base stores u can go to that they speak english since there on base so it is def a lot easier if u r military being a civilian and moving im not sure how all the works! me n my hubby met n the military so wev never had to move on our own. we had a lot of fun though while we were there..just make the best of it visit everything u can while your there bc u mite not ever get to go back! the kids actually adjust better than what people think they do.
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:20 AM on May. 7, 2011

• All I can tell you is google is your friend.      When we moved from England to Canada we gained a lot of information from google.   My kids adjusted very quickly and easily, they were 2 and 6.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:58 AM on May. 7, 2011

• no we arent military, but his company would set him up w/ everything and of course move us. they would pay for the move, our housing, and schooling for the kids... as well as other incidentals (like storage for the things we have now). i am not too worried about the kids adjusting, just me. and although i traveled a lot before, it still makes me nervous on how i will adjust..... only bc i have kids. i dont mind walking around cities alone... but now i have 3 little people. and yes ive googled a lot. but moving to a foreign speaking country makes some good pages hard to understand.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:03 PM on May. 7, 2011